Question re: food for my clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now, in my 20g tank, I have just 2 clowns (soon to be augmented by a goby/pistol shrimp pair and a skunk cleaner) with live rock.

I'm feeding them Dainichi Marine FX food (the LFS feeds them this in their tanks), but I'm wondering if I should be supplementing with other food during the week. I'm on an every-other-day regimen (which I kinda feel bad about...I hope they're not hungry), but they don't appear stressed. Should I alternate between the pellets one day and live food the next?

It's always best to give them a variety of foods. I usually alternate between frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp, and a high quality flake food just to keep things mixed up. Feeding your fish every other day is fine, it won't bother them much.

I'm guessing a whole cube of the frozen shrimp is waaaaaaaay too much. Should I just start with half (or a quarter) of the cube, thawed and rinsed till the water is clear?

Yeah that should work. I usually cut half a cube off and thaw it out in tank water. It will last me 3 days with my 2 clowns and firefish. Any longer than that and I will throw the rest out and start fresh. Personally, I don't bother rinsing my frozen food out; but I rarely have any issues with nitrates.

Do you dump the whole thing in at once or space it out over 3 days?

I space it out and target feed everything. Gives me a chance to make sure all my inverts get food as well as my Ocellaris Pigfish. Be sure to keep the rest of the thawed out food in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom