Questions about my new Bubbletip Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKSE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I figured since about a month or two ago I got a 55g Acrylic saltwater tank, it was time to sign up for a marine forum. I am only about 7 weeks into the whole marine aquarium hobby, but I have gotten it down well and am enjoying it greatly.

When I got my aquarium, it already had two mated Ocellaris clowns in it (or maybe Fake Oc., I can't quite recall) and they have been hosted in/around a castle since even the previous owner had them. Just today I got a Spotted Watchman Goby, a Bicolor Pseudochromis, and a Bubbletip Anemone. I acclimated them all correctly and they seem to be doing fine for being in the tank about two hours now. My questions for right now are: When I introduced my anemone to the tank, I placed it on the liverock floor next to a few rocks and it hasn't moved from where it was placed. Should I move it onto a rock or ledge, or is it possible that Bubbletips can do fine just on the gravel floor? Also, my clownfish don't seem interested in it at all yet, as they are just always around and in the castle. Any feedback about this, or the other tankmates I just added would be great.

Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this forum

One of the problems with getting an anenome is that they need an established and mature tank of 9-12 months. For this reason I`m concerned about your anenome. 7 weeks is not long enough to stabilize your tank parameters. JMO. How much LR is in your tank?

BTW welcome to AA.

Yeah, i didnt know that time period too when i added my BTA. I added mine 6 weeks after cycling(2 weeks) and he didn't seem to happy. He did find a place to set his feet in on a base rock but the problem was that that area was on the other side of the light. Wasnt much of a deal so i flipped the base rock and he has been happy since then. 1/2 live 1/2 base rock.

Like what he ^^ said, check your parameters and look for that anemone cause he will walk around to find a place to settle its feet.

so you have a gravel substrate and live rock in the tank? If I am reading that right, you might want to ponder a substrate change.

Okay not gravel but liverock I won't mix them up anymore. He just settled and has anchored onto the liverock floor where he landed when he was introduced to the tank. Should I let him stay anchored here or move him onto a rock? I am not sure about pound-wise, but there is about an even 4" of liverock throughout my 55gal aquarium. I'm sure most of you will conclude that I don't have enough liverock? Thanks for the replies.

BTW I have had this tank for 7 or 8 weeks, however I got it from someone who had the tank going with only the clownfish for atleast a year or more, so perhaps it is mature enough?

I think I'm a bit confused. You have LR on the bottom of your aquarium 4" deep? Sounds like gravel to me. Can you post a pic of your tank for us?

What Hara is talking about is, typically in a SW tank be it a reef or a FOWLR it has a sandy bottom like the ocean. Gravel is not a good substrate for a SW tank. The sand provides a place for bacteria to grow and help with filtration. LR is the large pieces of rock that are placed in the tank. If you have gravel on the bottom of your tank (stuff you see in a fresh water tank) then you really need to look in to getting that out and replacing it with sand. The BTA will typically attach its foot to a rock that is sheilded from the lights. Speaking of lighting what kind of lights do you have on your tank? The BTA is going to need pretty strong lighting to survive.

I only have twin Flouros right now, I suspect T-5. So isn't it possible to have live gravel/sand? Or is live sand fine like beach sand? Apparently as long as I feed my anemone well, it will make up for my lighting. He has attached to the gravel (I guess I'll call it for now) and ate some shrimp earlier and he looks great. Even though he has attached to the gravel bottom, should I move him onto a higher area, or just leave him on the floor? Thanks for the reply, and sorry for being such a Marine n00b.

EDIT* I just checked out 'live sand' and I guess that I have a mix of livesand and dead rock as you could call it. My live sand isn't fine like beach sand blut more course and white, looks similar to the google image searches I did. The person I got it from mention it had live sand in it as well, So I'm not too worried, I guess I was confusing live sand with live rock.

Back
Top Bottom