questions about my sump/fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigford84

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi, i have a 55 gallon fowlr with about a 25 gallon sump/fuge. its 3 chambers,1 intake with skimmer,and filter sock. 2 is fuge 2in sb , lr, cheeto, with 12000k and act. 3 is return with heater,and ato.

1. can i put a nylon bag of carbon in the return under a baffle so water is flowing through it??

2. what all do people put in there sump/fuge like carbon/nitrate remover/ i guess i mean chemical filtration..

3. what all should go in the fuge?? or what else can i put in it?

4. does anybody put any critters in the fuge? like snails,crabs,shrimp,cucumbers,fish?

5. filter sock... i have noticed that i have to clean the sock every night.. do you always run with a filter sock? and if not how do you minimize the splash,bubbling,foaming,salt creep?

Attachments

• DSC02253.jpg
    DSC02253.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC02254.jpg
    DSC02254.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC02255.jpg
    DSC02255.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC02256.jpg
    DSC02256.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 78
i use a reactor for carbon. a passive setup like a bag in the sump isn't nearly as effective for carbon, and i'm told it's completely ineffective for things like phosban/gfo.
nothing that eats algae or pods belongs in the refugium.

try using a larger sock. like an 8" one. that should give you more time between cleanings.
if you run the drain almost all the way to the bottom you should get less salt creep, and bubbles should dissipate before hitting the return.

I'm sock-less in the fuge. I always have critters in the fuge that come down the drain from the tank. I use a Phosban reactor for Bio-Pellets and BRS reactors for GFO and GAC.
The one thing I do have in the baffle is Poly filter (4x8) that is changed monthly.

I'm sock-less in the fuge. I always have critters in the fuge that come down the drain from the tank. I use a Phosban reactor for Bio-Pellets and BRS reactors for GFO and GAC.
The one thing I do have in the baffle is Poly filter (4x8) that is changed monthly.

ok what is a Phosban reactor for Bio-Pellets and BRS reactors for GFO and GAC.

so i also have a garden eel,and a yellow watchman gobby that i have not seen for a few days.... well i was looking in the fuge tonight with a flashlight and found the eel... he took one heck of a ride to get there. in the overflow box through the u tube , down the pipes , in the filter sock,and over the baffle into the fuge.. is he ok to leave down there?? i kinda want him in the dt cause he is a cool fish. but if he likes it down there should i just let him be?

i would bring him back up and make alterations so that it can't do that again.
i mentioned in another thread, these sheets of mesh that you can buy from walmart's crafts section. i believe they are for crochet. you can cut a piece of it to fit the surface skimmer and perhaps stop the eel from another trip south.

here is what the stuff looks like...i sectioned off this hex tank with it-
img_1190775_0_1b80a4c8b76316293dda54a242328f45.jpg

Back
Top Bottom