Questions and Questions (help the noob) ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike3epanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got back from LFS looking for dechlorinator and some ammonia test kit, I got the ammonia kit but the guy said I didn't need the dechlorinator since my salt mix (Instant Ocean) already does all the job. he says it has tons of buffers and all other stuff in it that takes out most of the things I need to get rid of. surprised me he didn't try to sell me anything. anyways, Is this true?

Also, I was looking for play sand at home depot and they had tons of 'em and didn't know which to get, but most of them are grey colored which I really didn't like. I saw one that was white but it was made of silica and it had a big WARNING sign on it that its toxic to humans so I didn't get it too.
is that ok for my tank?, which kind of sand should I get (specific) at home depot? I don't want to get one from LFS because it really pricey and they're only about $5 in Home Depot. People here have told me before that Its fine to get some sand there and its really cheap but does it have to be gray?

Thanks In Advance!!!!!

I just checked my bucket of Reef Crystals which is made by the same folks that make Instant Ocean, and while it mentions containing a metal detoxifier it makes no mention of a dechlorinator. In fact, the directions specifically state to mix with dechlorinated or purified water.

Also, looking at the DrFosterSmith.com website, you can check out the manufacturer's instructions for a lot of products. Checking out Instant Ocean, it says:

"Mix Instant Ocean salt with reverse osmosis or distilled water for optimal results. Tap water can be used, but it must be treated with dechlorinator prior to use."

Soooo... I'm thinking that perhaps you got some bum information. You'd think that if it contained a dechlorinator, they'd advertise that fact.

Can't help you with the play sand. I remember reading though that you want an aragonite-based sand, not a silica-based sand. Heard that folks test for it by dropping the sand in a bit of vinegar and seeing if it bubbles. If it does, then that's the correct sand. The "toxic" warning is just a CYA statement to protect the manufacturer from silicosis lawsuits. Just don't breath the sand dust and you'll be OK.

my HD only carries silica, natural, and all purpose sand... I don't know which one to get?.. any help?... thanks

When I was setting up my tank, I briefly looked into the whole play sand thing. Decided not to risk it, for what was in the big picture, not a lot of money. (DrFosterSmith.com doesn't charge shipping based on weight. Keep that in mind!)

In looking around at the Lowes/Home Depots though, I never found the play sand everyone talks about being OK. Mike3epanda... I know you're out here in WA state with me and I think in the threads I've read here, the correct play sand is hard to come by on the West Coast. Kinda makes sense... that stuff is heavy, so they probably bring in whatever sand is closest to the stores. The aragonite play sand, I believe, comes out of Florida so I'm guessing we'd be hard pressed to find any up here.

Kurt_Nelson said:
When I was setting up my tank, I briefly looked into the whole play sand thing. Decided not to risk it, for what was in the big picture, not a lot of money. (DrFosterSmith.com doesn't charge shipping based on weight. Keep that in mind!)

In looking around at the Lowes/Home Depots though, I never found the play sand everyone talks about being OK. Mike3epanda... I know you're out here in WA state with me and I think in the threads I've read here, the correct play sand is hard to come by on the West Coast. Kinda makes sense... that stuff is heavy, so they probably bring in whatever sand is closest to the stores. The aragonite play sand, I believe, comes out of Florida so I'm guessing we'd be hard pressed to find any up here.
I agree, you cant even find it in TN...or at least, I havnt...

I would advise big time against using anything but aragonite or live sand for your aquarium. Play sands and other "non aquarium" formulated substrates and rock can in time leach out harmful chemicals/compounds and cause some serious distress in your aquarium.

I know you are trying to save cash so instead of getting all live sand I would recommend just buying plain aragonite sand. While it is not as cheap as play sand it is not as expensive as live sand. If you wanted to skimp a little more you could put some crushed coral down then several pounds of aragonite sand over top of that since crushed coral is often cheaper then the various sands available to hobbyists.

You can order it from drsfosterandsmith. I bought 270Lbs and a 72 inch lighting system. Shipping was $15.99.

I have 40 lbs of florida crushed corals and it is aragonite but I was told to take it out on this site and not even use it as base and put the sand on top of it?!?... which opinion should i believe

CC is a personal preference. If you keep up with cleaning it it looks great. I had it in mine and liked it at first and then it got to be a pain cleaning it. I removed mine and added more sand.

I would agree as well about not using the silica (not silicate) sand. Most regular playsands are silica sand and will do ok, however, it will not buffer the water and can, not definitely, but can leach silicates into the tank after long periods of time. Aragonite is more expensive, yes, but looks and does much better for the tank. It will help keep the water buffered and is also safer for sand burrowing, munching gobies...

I used to use the silica sand and after about close to 3 years, switched to aragonite completely. The difference is highly noticeable.

As with what others have spoken on this site about CC, heed the words... Sand will be much more pleasing and natural to look at as well as keep up with. JMO

Timbo2

Ground coral as in crushed....? Is it finer? I would stick with sand.

Again I would stick with aragonite sand or crushed coral. Like Roka said, CC or sand is totally personal preference. Although if you plan on keeping burrowing animals; like Yellowhead Jawfish or various sand sifting gobies then sand is a must.

Back
Top Bottom