Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

quick advice needed!

i just bought a maroon clown, and added it to my 30gal aquarium,i also have 2 azure damsels. here in-lies the issue, upon adding the clown i had the lights off and the damsels weren't to curious, i waited a hour then turned the lights on. they are picking on him like crazy, not both at once but the clown is kinda cornered by the filter inlet. both the clown and my damsels are just about the same size. i really dont want this maroon clown to croak overnight, HELP!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get rid of the damsels its quite simple. They will do this to all of your next fish.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

im so ready to do this, but i can't catch the bastards! and at the moment dont have the funds to buy traps, assuming they will work. its been a total of about 20 minutes since i turned on the lights and they aren't pecking at him nearly as much. i should of never have bought those devil fish, i was totally mislead on the purchase. i knew that damsels themselves were aggressive, but was told that "azure" damsels weren't too aggressive. i've been in this hobby for a total of 5 months, and have done my fair share of research, i really just need to trust my own opinion!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya I had a single damsel that was dwarfed by my maroon clown and it constantly nipped so I took it back not worth losing a clown.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is why damsels are avoided by most people. Im sorry to say but catching them usually involves taking out all your rock work so you can finally net them.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can try this homemade trap. Depending on the size of the dam damsel you may not need to widen the hole. Make sure the sides are tight so they can't wriggle out but the way in should be safe due to the reverse funnel entry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1960374688.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	108149  
Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Get Out of My Tank! Fish Removal Tips & Tricks by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

This might help as far as catching the damsels but I would say keep those lights out till they get use to each other or till you get rid of the damsels. I`m surprised the GSM is losing the fight. They are IME the meanest of the clowns.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone, I'm at my wit's end on this one, I just spent literally all morning trying to catch um. I tried the bottle trick but didn't have the success I wanted only the clown and my cleaner shrimp were interested. I even tried hunting them with a home made spear like an African native would to no avail. These "thugs" are tearing my maroon to pieces, literally. I'm going to turn the lights out for the remainder of the day, and if things keep getting worse I'm going to resort to my last (very unwanted) task of removing the rocks and netting those punks. I almost to the point of frustration that they will go strait from the tank to the toilet, but then again they don't know any better but to protect their territory

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just because you are upset doesnt mean you should flush them... That just seems wrong, i hope you were joking because a local fish store will gladly take a free fish...

I caught my fish with a net. My brother would chase it from its hiding spot and i would have a net ready. The fish liked 2 hiding spots in the tank, they have patterns. If you can identify their favorite spots you will be able to predict their next moves... Then i hope you have good reflexes.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I apologize for not making my last statement clear, I felt as if I wanted to flush them, it doesn't mean I'm going to, and if I were I wouldn't incriminate myself like that. But with the LR I have having a ton of hiding spots its going to be hard to catch, but I haven't asked my girlfriend to help me yet. Maybe that's the next step.

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com