Quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saywill

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do I keep my sand from turning brown, other than keeping the lights off and manually turning the sand?

How long has your tank been set up? It will do that for a while until things settle in. After some time and a good cleaning crew along with good water movement that will go away. Though it can spring back up now and again.

As for turning the sand I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself. Buy some nassarius snails they do a great job of mixing things up.

the tank is over 2 years ols, but I recently put the sand in a couple of months ago. I have really good water movement with 1 maxi jet 1200 on 1 end and a maxi jet 600 on the other.

If you just put the sand in then it is going to take time for the bacteria to develope in it...it's basically like a "new tank" not that it has to cycle again or anything like that but the sand is going to go through the diatoms like it was a new tank. Everytime I add more sand to my tank I have to deal with it for a little while and then it's gone.

Back
Top Bottom