Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quick Question about ICH

Can someone, or multiple people confirm that these 2 statements are true.

'ICH is something that is introduced to a marine tank. It's NOT something that all fish have and develop further when stressed'

'If there are no fish present in a marine tank that previously had ICH, the desease will die off COMPLETELY within a certain amount of time as there are no fish for it to host'

Thankyou in advance.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It will die off if there is no host. The first one is not true since most tangs actually carry ich. If you had the chicken pox you will forever carry the varicella zoster virus, when ya get stressed the virus will wake up and ya break out in shingles.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for the reply.
I have a clown fish and a dottyback that are currently in an infected tank. I lost a second clown fish to it last week.

If I where to cure these two fish completely, will THEY carry a dormant version of it?

thankyou again
Old 03-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

when there dead there dead I don't believe there will be anything domant parasites as long as you make sure you treat them for 3 to 4 weeks with either hypo or copper.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wither or not other species can carry ich I don't know. I know that foxfaces carry black ich and tangs white ich. As for your fish I would suggest calling your local lfs and having them care for your fish while ich is cycled out of your tank. If you don't have that nice of an lfs than you are going to have to look for treatment options. The most popular is Metroplex and Focus (MOST BE USED TOGETHER!!!) and ich-x. You will have to freshwater dip your fish (if you are going to do a freshwater dip you can post a new form about how to do it or just message me...it is not hard, but dangerous to the fish if done incorrectly).

You need to find the source of your ich. Generally healthy happy fish don't get ich.

You will need to raise the temp slowly and lower your salinity slowly.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry cloud I neglected to say don't use hypo or copper in your dt only in a qt tank.Especially if you have live rock or inverts.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

is your name from ff7??
Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

haha yes it is Im a ff7 fanatic.

Now, I'm a little confused. You say that tangs carry this disease. Do they carry it in a way that other fish carry it? or do they carry it in a unique way meaning they can never totally be free of it?

So correct this hypothetical statement if it is wrong:

'I had a fish tank with one fish, a tang. The tang had ICH - I took it out of my tank, cured it properly (doing whatever needed to be done) and put it back in my tank that has NO ICH in it. My fishtank will no longer see any more ICH unless It is introduced by another means (whether by another fish, water etc).

This is the big question I've been looking for an answer for for weeks now.

(ICH is an annoying sugject but I dont plan to stop till I know all about it!)

Thankyou once again
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ich is dormant on most fish like the chicken pox virus. As long as the fish don't get stressed ya won't get ich. Many people own many tangs in their tanks and have never had an ich outbreak. The only time ich becomes a problem is when it can reproduce, which is only possible when the fishs immune system is down. I have even had a dwarf lionfish breakout in ich as soon as a brought him home and put him into the quarantine tank.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok.. this is just getting more confusing.. lol

I'm with you so far. But hows this then:

the two top ways to cure ICH both Stress out fish. So whats the point in trying to cure them when you're just putting them back into you're tank when they are stressed out? won't they just start it over again seeing as they're stressed? This subject is so annoying. So many dead ends lol.

Tags
ich, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com