Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Quick question about powerheads

Later on in a few months I would like to have some coral but in the mean time, my white goby sifts through sand all day leaving it floating in the water making it settle on the rocks. His home rock is COVERED in sand hahah so question, will a powerhead solve this? By solve I mean prevent the sand from settling on the rocks?

heyz0os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, it would probably help, but you would have to aim it correctly so as to not stir up the sand even more. go for Koralia powerheads if possible. they are the best.

fishmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Hi there, unfortunately thats the goby way. Some people dislike the sand issues so much they rehome the fish. it's up to you. Some flow might help but he'll still sift...
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You're going to need powerheads eventually if you want corals, so might as well get them now. They may stir up the sand a bit at first, but your bed will eventually settle to where the PHs push it. It's best to have at least 2 situated on opposite sides of the tank aiming upwards for the same spot on the front-center glass (1 PH closer to the surface and the other about 1/2-2/3 of the way up).

And to answer your question, it will help keep a lot of the sand off the rocks.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

ick, powerheads

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com