Quick question on butterflys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering if a raccoon butterfly could ever work in a 45 gallon tank? If not would any other easyish butterflys work?

I don't plan on a reef if I do get one by the way, although I suppose that was obvious..

I wouldn't. They need a tank much larger than 50 gallons. Healthy specimens get to be about 8". That wouldn't mix well with a 45G aquarium. If you really wanted one, i would say 60 gallons is your absolute minimum. Plus, they can be a little hard to feed at first, and being stressed by a small tank will only work against you getting it to eat.

Sorry, but i would consider a different fish. Just my opinion though.

Double saddle butterfly? They stay smaller I read, around 6 inches

Yeah, i would go with one of those rather then the raccoon. Definitely.

Yes for second best!!! Thanks a bunch for the help and quick response

No problem. Let us know if you have anymore questions. And let us know when you get the fish. :)

Sure thing....and you don't happen to know if coral catfish would also be too big? I'm assuming they would but thought I'd check....

Spines are extremely poisonous and it grows to be about 13". I would skip that if i were you lol.

AND is a sand sifter. So unless you have a live sandbed to support its feeding habits, and a large one at that, i would again, pick a different fish lol.

Yikes! You had me at poisonous spines!  but what would you suggest as a heavy sand sifter? I'm lacking one on my list of fishies..

I think they make great additions to saltwater aquariums. Most of them are very nice fish. Some amazing colors on them. They are still a hit or miss when it comes to reefs though. But since you aren't doing a reef tank, i think a Pygmy Angel would make a great addition. Just be sure not to go overboard with the fish. ;) 45G's is a decent number, but it's not a huge tank. Just keep bioload in mind and space for the fish.

True, but I've thought about it and plan to have a large CUC and around 90 lbs of LR......so we'll see how it goes from here! I suppose I should start a build thread....

Back
Top Bottom