Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know about Jersey, but most walmarts seem to carry distilled water. Again, I'm not sure what having some added minerals in your water is going to harm... Quick question, do you know your water source? Are you municipal water or on well?

--sorry I'm at work and it took me more than an hour to get this typed... Joy13 has a great point...

epsolon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Thanx but no.....

grocery store as well.. distilled.. 87 a gallon, not sure what the 2.5g jugs are.... Pathmark, Acme, etc

CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
You don't have to hook the RO/DI unit up premanently. You can use a hose or a wash basin faucet and just hook it up as you need it. The unit comes with different ways to hook it up.
Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
another Q: since this will be a new tank, can I mix the seasalt in the aquarium itself after filling it with RO/DI water? i'll let the tank run for atleast a week before i start adding anything else. plan is

1) clean tank and other equipment since its used with tapwater/vinegar/tapwater/drytowel
2) setup the aquarium and connect everything in place.
3) put the base rock/live rock and some live sand/aquascaping
4) fill up with RO/DI water
5) let it run for a few hrs and check for leaks
6) add salt slowly over few hours enough for the amount of RO water inside
7) let it run for a week, check specific gravity for 1-.021 - 1.025 level (add/dilute salt if needed)
8) then add a dead fish/shrimp for the cycling to begin and start the testing process......
minghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes, for the first mix it is okay to mix it in your tank.
I would check for leaks on the tank while you are cleaning it.
I would not waste my money on live sand. How long has it been on the shelve and how alive is it?
When putting in your Live rock, be sure it's all the way to the bottom of the tank. Fish and other animals in your tank will want to dig and that might cause a landslide if the rock is not firmly on the bottom.
you can add the shrimp sooner and that will get you started on the cycle faster. Use uncooked and unseasoned shrimp. Shrimp breaks down faster and does not have the fat that fish might have.
Lastly after a few days start checking your water parameters and watch as your ammonia levels go up and then your nitrites and lastly your nitrates. When your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and you start to see nitrates you can do a large water change and safely add your cleanup crew...snails, hermits. check your water readings again in a few days then add a fish. Go slow so that your bacteria can keep up with your increased bioload and you are go to go.
Have Fun and happy reefing,

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote

ick, new setup, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com