Quick Setup/skimmer question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FloridaNewbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of setting up my tank so i can start my cycle. i got everything, but i am having a problem fitting the protein skimmer in the tank. A good part of it has to be ABOVE the water, meaning i won't be able to close the canopy. So i decided to return it, and maybe later looking for one that will fit. my set up is:

29gallon tank
Penguin 200 Bio Wheel
2 Marineland Powerheads
UV Sterilizer with a small powerhead
40lbs Live sand from lfs
20lbs Base rock
20lbs Florida/haitian LR from lfs

My question is, is the Skimmer really a MUST ?? or i can hold off for a while
Thanks guys
Leo :lol:

IMO the skimmer is a pretty important piece of equipment but you can go without for a while during your cycle. In the first few weeks of the cycle there will be little to skim anyway. LR and skimmer are all the biological filtration I used for a long time but I added a refuge in the last couple yrs.

I agree with mel completely, a skimmer isn't the most important equipment while cycling your tank, but down the road it will be an important piece to have. One thing about skimmers is that most have a break-in period, which it releases quite a few microbubbles back into your tank.

Back
Top Bottom