Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Raccoon Butterfly compatibility

I like the look of them and one is available but charts state they are fish only and could eat inverts.
Live aqauria states-
Quote:
It should not be kept in a reef tank since it will eat invertebrates and is deemed unsafe with corals.
Would this include crabs, cleaner shrimp, and CUC's?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not sure about the CUC munching, but they will definitely munch on corals and clam mantles, I believe. They are also known to eat aptasia.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Ray that most likely they mean inverts like corals, anenomes and clams.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation

Pacific Raccoon butterfly will definitely eat some (not all) corals. My specific juvenile 3" Pacific Raccoon eats apistasia polyps which is awesome since they are one of the most prolific nuisance polyps that overcome a reef tank.

However it ate most of my mushrooms corals and nips at the base of hard LPS corals. They don't seem to bother larger healthy colonies and settles on eating very small colonies of corals. For example the large 18" Kenya tree soft coral and my 12" toadstool has lots of similar polyps when extended but I have never seen it touch it unless there is pellet food lodged on it.

It hasn't bothered my Fire Shrimp or cleaner shrimp, but they are known to attack small crustaceans too when larger.
So its definitely not for smaller reefs or nano tanks with corals, where they are forced to spend a lot of time near small territory. Like all butterfly fish, they seem to need a lot of space to swim. My Raccoon will swim the length of my 8ft tank all day long and is a beautiful yellow fish to observe, and is one of my guest favorites for being so active.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Butterfly fish are quite finicky eaters aswell,please consider this

Tags
butterfly, compatibility, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com