Raccoon butterfly vs glass anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idol1

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 7 yr old grandson caught a raccoon butterfly size of a nickel.

I put it in my 20gal baby tank. The tank had at least 150 glass anemones all sizes. Some larger than the butterfly.

The baby raccoon has been in there one week and has wiped out almost all of the glass anemones. I can only see three remaining.

This baby raccoon is also eating cracked open Hawaiian oyster, prime reef red and prime reef two green. Chopped squid, shrimp and scallop.

This raccoon even picks at the dried marine algae blk. not green.

since I don't have corals or any lg. anemones do to our Hawaiian laws.

I was wondering since the natural diet is the glass anemones.

If you had a problem with glass anemones in your reef tank could you put a tiny baby raccoon in with out much damage to any thing else?

Remove the raccoon when he wiped out the glass anemones?

Raccoons are not the fastest growing fish.

The problem I see is trying to catch it out of a reef tank.

If I have to move a fish I move it at night when its sleeping using a high powered head lamp.

This is the same method we use catching on the reef.

Baby raccoons adjust realy fast to aquarium life like almost immediately.

I take baby raccoons from the ocean put them in a tank. With in 1/2 hr. its like they were born in the tank.

I just love that butterfly.

That's cool, it sounds like you got him to eat other food so you should be good with leaving him in your tank. You have a picture?

You cant have corals in the tank or he will wipe them out. And yes taking a reef tank apart is very trying to the patience.

Back
Top Bottom