Raising ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Any pH change needs to be done properly, safely, and slowly. This means you test for it and it definitely needs it. It also means you test it until the routine proves to be consistent. You also need to do it safely. This means not using 'pH Up' type products, instead use products that actually raise pH by increasing KH. There are many powdered and liquid additives that can be used. When using them use half doses at first to avoid a sudden increase in pH/KH.

There is a lot of speculation and some proof that pH shock is a myth. planted tanks running CO2 during the day have large shifts in pH twice daily. The fish don't go into shock. There is good evidence that what has been blamed on pH shock is in fact osmotic shock, caused by a change in the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) of the water. A rapid change of pH from an acid pH below 7 to one above 7 can cause fish to die. It is not the change in pH but, rather, the instant conversion of non toxic ammonium to toxic ammonia. The pH change is often blamed for that too, when the problem is ammonia poisoning.

I don't buy it. When both are undetectable it is hard to believe either can be lethal.

If the pH shifts happen slowly (even if only a couple hours) it is very different than tossing in too much buffer or not acclimating fish to a new tank. The same shift occurs in marine systems where even super sensitive corals are fine as the pH shifts daily from 7.8 up to 8.4 (depending on the tank). I have seen cases of 'pH shock' without crossing 7.0.

I have know reasons to change my ph. But i do prepare my self for it. Aquarium product for ph for lowering or boosting are expensive. So i thought using pure baking soda for alkaline would be fine. And something like vinegar for acide. Then again your telling me to leave it alone. Hard decision.

Juste for info on my aquarium, fresh water plant aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom