Rank these equipments in order of importance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Trying to figure out if I need anything else for my tank. I think I have the absolute bare minimum right now.

I've been thinking about getting the following, but they are all expensive so I would like to get the most important ones first. Some of these I may not need at all.

I have FOWLR.. no corals or invertebrates.

* Sump (currently using a HOB filter.. which is working fine, but a sump would be cool and provide so many benefits)
* UV Sterilizer (LFS said I should get this for a certain type of fish I want that is prone to Ich)
* Protein Skimmer (I need one of these, right?)
* RO/DI unit (I use tap water treated with Prime. I refuse to lug jugs back and forth from my LFS.. so this might be most important?)

RO/DI hands down. I currently have a small cyano and HA problem from just topping off with tap water

Then sump followed by the skimmer

Sterilizer is not needed, go without it and put the money it would've costed towards a better skimmer

Yep, I agree with Idream. Ro/di first, sump then skimmer.

The ro isnt even that expensive. :) Not compared to getting a sump and skimmer anyways lol

Couldn't I get a HOB skimmer and not get the sump?
I understand all of the benefits of one, but it wouldn't be necessary.. just a convenience, right?

I have both a hob skimmer and an in sump skimmer. An in sump skimmer is a lot better. The one that hangs on the back I have a lot of micro bubbles in the tank from it and that is the reason I stopped using it.

If you plan on getting a sump and a skimmer I would get the sump first as well then get an in-sump skimmer. 1) should work a little better, you have more options and 2) less to see in the display tank!

{"Sterilizer is not needed, go without it and put the money it would've costed towards a better skimmer"}. I agree with Dream,,,,,

thanks guys :)

I am going to get an ro/di unit and a hob skimmer
that should improve my water quality a whole lot

when i am feeling ambitious i may figure out a sump, but going to skip that for now.

reading about skimmers is so complicated. there's so many different kinds

I've heard good thing about the octopus skimmer. I also am partial to the remora but alot of people don't like it. LOL

In-sump skimmers are much better than HOB. Added like mentioned above a sump will hide almost all equipment and make the tank look much nicer. Essentially everything but powerheads could go in the sump, skimmer, heater, etc.

Added you get the benefit of making it a fuge to house macroalgae and reduce your phos and nitrates to 0ppm, always a great thing to have

1) RO/DI (Tap Water in the Saltwater Reef)

2) Sump (Added water volume is a great thing)

3) Protien Skimmer (Removes DOC`s which end up as excessive nutrients in your tank. They cause nuisance algea.

4) UV steralizer ( Ran one for years but decided later not really worth it. JMO)

Back
Top Bottom