raw shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam petty

Aquarium Advice Activist
Cant buy raw shrimp anywhere to cycle out my tank, so as an allternative could i put in some frozen brine shrimp fish foodcin there n let that rot ?

Damsels are a type of fish that are commonly used to cycle tanks because they're very hardy. Personally, I wouldn't go with the damsel. They're also very aggressive, and I've heard stories about them become a scourge upon the tank. Besides, fish in cycling takes much more work than fishless cycling.

So would u just stick to a fishless cycle then n keep putting food in there and nutrafin cycle? Cause was advised to put fish in there to kick off cycle so put 2 clowns in there n they died on day 3 :-( my results from yesterday are
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrate 40
Ph 8.0
Thanks for advice

Ya those trite readings will kill anything you put in the tank. Just keep adding fish food (you don't need the nutrafin) and your cycle will come along just fine. It's not as precise as using pure ammonia but still works

It may or may not die but I don't think it's fair on the fish to try it!

You don't need to be constantly feeding and empty tank you can use one block of frozen food and that should do it.

After about 4 - 6 weeks you should have 0 nitrites , 0 Ammonia and nitrate close to 0 as possible. Then add one small fish. Leave it for another 3 - 4 weeks and add another! Take it slow!

Ok thanks ill put a block on now when should i check level next to see if any chsnges are happening ta

Rite 5.0
Rate 40
Ammonia 2
Ph 8
Set up tank left it for 1 week.
Went to lfs n was advised to put 2 fish in there to start cycle lost these fish in 3 days.
Been fishless since but adding cycle to it every couple of days.

Ok so add a block if food and let that decompose! Your trites should drop to zero very quickly when it's ready. Make sure your ammonia is zero also.

Once they are stable get 1 small fish. A chromis is a good starter. Then don't add anything for another 2 - 4 weeks. Only add one fish at a time!

Back
Top Bottom