re-aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have no idea if wild or not. Lfs said someone brought them in in a trade. They are huge though. Probably full grown. I think thats what I'm paying for. Though this particular store is known for its high prices.

How long should I wait after adding two green chromis yesterday? I planned on a week. Is that long enough?

I think a week should be good. Youre testin your water and stuff right? Everything look stable after the chromis?

Just added the chromis last night. Haven't tested since then. I will here in a few hours.

I love stocking a fresh tank. SOOO many possibilities!

On a different note Scott, I see you got more Chromis. Do you really like them? Are they schooling fish? I'm in the market for some schooling mid level fish.

I thought they were boring at first because of their dull colors compared to other sw fish. But I have grown to like them! The blue/green looks nicein the light and they sure do love to eat.

I do not know if they are schooling but they tend to stick together. The fish guy said they tend to weed each other out over time so he wouldn't suggest getting but 2 or 3.

I thought they were boring at first because of their dull colors compared to other sw fish. But I have grown to like them! The blue/green looks nicein the light and they sure do love to eat.

I do not know if they are schooling but they tend to stick together. The fish guy said they tend to weed each other out over time so he wouldn't suggest getting but 2 or 3.

Hey, you're going to want to limit your livestock to ones you really love, not ones you grow to like. In the long run you'll be better off taking your time to see what you want, then see what it is compatiable. Then you won't have to worry, what to do with these chromis now that are wasting valuable space.
Just a thought.

Hey nxb161 thanks for the advice!
I do love the chromis though or I wouldn't have bought more :)
I didn't like them the first time around, I got them because they were cheap and hardy and peaceful.
This second time around I got them because I wanted them.

ok so just tested
sg - 1.024
amm, trites, trates - 0
dkh - 11
ph - I think 8.2 :| It is hard to tell. The water is so see-through it's hard to match it up with a color. it's light see through purple. Is the ph test just a hard one to read?

I personally find the ph to be one of the most difficult API kits to read. It's never one of the card purples. It's always sorta between two shades.

Scott, I have to ask...are those decorations truly safe for saltwater? I have read that some are not and can leach into the tank. Just curious since you had all of those mystery losses. Also, I have 3 chromis in my tank...love 'em!

Ok good, I'm not the only one.
I'm fairly confident now that I had ph issues before and I couldn't read the test kit appropriately.

@angiorn, I'm not sure. They're ceramics I believe. I bought them at the pet store in the aquarium decorations section. I would think they were!

The reason I asked is that when I was looking for decorations some stated 'Not safe for saltwater"....wondering if you remember or if these were from your FW setup.

I bought these brand new. However I will call the pet store in 2 hours when they open just to be sure. Can never be too safe, right!?

Here is part of the article that made me ask...

Make sure that any decorations that are used in an aquarium are Fish Safe. This simply means that anything that will degrade over time or leech into the tank should NEVER be added to your aquarium. Large amounts of anything leaking into your tank can be toxic to your aquarium inhabitants.

Things that should never be added into your aquariums include :

* Metal (whether rusty or not)

* Plastics that leech or degrade

* Painted ornaments that will leech paint into your tank, etc.

Back
Top Bottom