Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I feed a variety of frozen foods, mysis shimp, octopus and squid cubes. I have a lionfish, stars and stripes puffer and a baby huma trigger, as well as an engineer goby-but he doesn't really go after the food, he's more of a bottom feeder. I usually cut a frozen cube in half and get the lionfish to go to one half and the puffer to go the other..but usually the puffer ends up with a majority of the food, unless the lionfish gets it in one gulp. I then make sure the trigger gets some food later by feeding live brine shrimp, a small clam, or a little piece of another cube. They're all quite hardy and seem to manage getting the appropriate amount of food together, though the puffer is quite a pig, haha

Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a tank like that you could maybe get a couple of snowflake eels, and I'd go for a dog face puffer, aside from that maybe have a look a a couple of a bi colour angle, powder blue or brown tang, racoon butterfly or marine Betta maybe

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalkt View Post
I feed a variety of frozen foods, mysis shimp, octopus and squid cubes. I have a lionfish, stars and stripes puffer and a baby huma trigger, as well as an engineer goby-but he doesn't really go after the food, he's more of a bottom feeder. I usually cut a frozen cube in half and get the lionfish to go to one half and the puffer to go the other..but usually the puffer ends up with a majority of the food, unless the lionfish gets it in one gulp. I then make sure the trigger gets some food later by feeding live brine shrimp, a small clam, or a little piece of another cube. They're all quite hardy and seem to manage getting the appropriate amount of food together, though the puffer is quite a pig, haha
The Huma Trigger doesn't mess with the Lion? I was always under the impression they don't normally go well together so I was considering the Bursa Trigger since it looks very similar to the Huma. May have to re-think the Huma now...
Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Any thoughts on a Australian Harlequin Tusk? I've never had one before so I don't know much about them.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tusks are very cool. Had an ex with one in her 300g. I plan to get one at some point when I upgrade.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Tusks are very cool. Had an ex with one in her 300g. I plan to get one at some point when I upgrade.
How will it do with the lion, triggers, eel and puffer. I am researching it tonight. But I'm not sure when I can get one I think they are out of season now.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

She had a Blue Throat in the same tank and they were fine. I don't have first hand experience with the others you mentioned.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post
The Huma Trigger doesn't mess with the Lion? I was always under the impression they don't normally go well together so I was considering the Bursa Trigger since it looks very similar to the Huma. May have to re-think the Huma now...
I'm actually surprised the lionfish hasn't tried to eat the Huma, haha, cause he ate my bigger sand goby. I got the huma as just a baby, he's about 1 inche.so cute. I got him as a baby to see if he would be less aggressive towards his tankmates as he grew. Where i bought him actually had the lionfish with a giant huma too, and they were fine, but I'm sure it depends on the individual fish. I had a niger trigger that killed a dragon wrasse, which really surprised me, cause there supposedly one of the less aggressive triggers
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I found a Black Edge Moray, the the people at the store said he is VERY aggressive so I'm not sure if I should take him or not. They already sold it once and the person returned it because it was so aggressive. Too bad it's a really good price too.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was on my way into one of the LFS and some guy was donating a Snowflake Eel and asked if I wanted him so I just scored a free 5" Snowflake! Hope the lion doesn't try to eat him.

Tags
stocking, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com