Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-12-2003, 10:30 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Originally Posted by blhigbee
cant you have fish and coral together?
Just to clarify the info from Brian H, which is very correct BTW, you can have fish and corals together. Not all fish can be kept with corals though. Some marine fish are compatible only in a FO or FOWLR tank. For instance, if you drop a trigger in a reef tank, he will destroy it in short order. Some fish will eat your corals also. Some will eat all your shrimp, crabs, and snails. There are some inverts that aren't reef safe either. A sand sifting star will decimate your DSB by eating all the worms and pods that live in it. You really have to do some research on this before buying livestock. If you want to start with a FOWLR and graduate to a reef, be sure all your livestock is reef safe and that will save you many headaches down the road. Some of these critters are very entertaining to catch in a tank full of rock. The best way to do this would be to start with the DSB and plenty of LR. You shouldn't have much trouble keeping your water quality up to reef standards. Actually, your corals will probably do better since you will be adding them to a more mature tank than if you started a reef to begin with.
Logan J

loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:42 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
fowlr is that not "fish only with live rock"? if so then technically wouldn't that be a reef tank
Im not positive on this, but I think you may be confusing live rock and corals. They are two different things. When I started I thought they were the same, that is why I am wondering if you made the same mistake, if I am incorrect in this assumption, just ignore this post.

michealprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to have maybe 2 soft polyp corals in my FOwLR tank. I have 260W of light (2x65 Actinic, 2x65 10000k) of course lots of LR and a skimmer....

If I used Reef Crystals would that we enough to sustain 2 soft corals?

BTW - all the planned fish are reef-safe

125 gal mixed REEF
PrettyFishies is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com