Recommendations on wrasse & goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm getting ready to order a couple of new fish for my 65-gal FOWLR tank. Thinking of a reef-safe wrasse (no reef now but don't want to burn bridges) and a goby. Appreciate suggestions for fish in these families that are easy care and colorful & active.

Current tank status: 4+" yellow tang, 3" maroon clown, 2" purple pseudochromis, 4" bi-color blenny; lots of LR; 2" sand bed; skimmer & cannister filter but no refugium (not likely to add one any time soon).

TIA

Bob

My favorite goby is my pink spotted goby. They sift a little but have plenty of personality. I also have a bullet goby that does nothing but sifting. I like both but my pink spotted is my favorite fish. Here`s both of them.

Pink spotted

100_1498.jpg

000_0252.jpg

000_0261.jpg

Bullet Goby

100_0716.jpg

I have had a sleeper gold head goby for about 4 days now. I am not sure I like him. I think he is just doing what he is supposed to do but he is making a mess. I have a deep sand bed. He is like an ADHD child that can't leave the sand alone. The water is stirred up all the time. Maybe when he gets more comfortable with his new surroundings he will slow down some. The good part is he is beautiful and always fun to watch. He has burrowed under one small rock that I had added later and was on top of the sand. Now it is sitting in a big whole. I have also read that the long time survival rate is not stunning on this kind of goby. I must be doing something right for now, he is very healthy.

If that gold head sleeper goby stops sifting, it is pretty much because it is dead. That is what they do. Not to rain on your parade but 4 days doesnt really mean much in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with Hara so make sure that animal is eating prepared foods. As for wrasses, what about a Possum wrasse (Wetmorella nigropinnata), Scotts fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus scottorum), Exquisite wrasses (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus) or other fairy wrasse? Personally I would pass on a goby since Psedochromis' are very territorial to them as can bi-color blennies, but that's just my opinion. Otherwise, there are clown gobies (Gobiodon spp.) or perhaps a Yasha (Stonogobiops yasha)?

I have an Orange Diamond Watchman Goby and I absolutely love him. He does sift sand but I feed him mysis everyday (sometimes twice a day or he gets really skinny) and a peeled shrimp about once a week. He comes to the front of the tank when I walk in the room and he is a complete show off to anyone visiting. I have had him now for 3-4 months.

Back
Top Bottom