Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-27-2007, 12:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
ok... well I actually didnt... i had somebody feed it for me while I was gone.... it wasnt overfed... but yea I just rubbed the red algae off the rocks so its everywhere now and I didnt really take it out... did I just make it worse?.. is it gonna spread all over now?..

mike3epanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
There is a chemical you san use to kill the CYNO it's a temporary fix. But it will help you control this outbreak. Ask your LFS.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
ChemiClean works really well to clean up your cyano in about a week. After you get rid of it, it may come back as red slime algae which means you are having a problem with phosphates and you will need to get rid of your phosphate problem. One of the more common sources of phosphates is using a cheap brand of GAC. Black Diamond is a good brand as is Seachem to use as your GAC. They have extremely low phosphate leaks. To eliminate your current phosphates there are various products you can get, some being filter pads, others being filter media.

Water changes will definitely help but it's like if you had a pool with a sewer pipe leaking sewage into your pool. You can do water changes to help decrease the sewage but what you really need to do is shut off the sewer pipe. Same thing with treatments. You can dump chemicals in to get rid of it but it's going to keep coming back until you find the source. Even though it is technically not an algae, you cure it in similar ways. Reduce excess food, reduce lighting, and in the case of cyano get rid of the phosphates in your tank.

The water flow from powerheads helps keep the cyano from being visible, but only by keeping it from settling. It doesn't actually remove it from your tank.
pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Do be careful with chemicals, which is something I do not advise. Although ChemiClean is generally a reputeable product, I had lost almost an entire display due to its use, which was properly applied.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
Yes I do agree you should be careful with chemicals. I don't even use the recommended dosage on most... usually start at 50% recommended dose then add to it only if needed. I've found that with this product in particular 50% of the recommended dose does a good job if the dose is repeated 3-4 weeks later before the cyano fully returns.

pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, red algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com