Red algae on my coral sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED GETTING RED HAIR LIKE ALGAE ON MY CORAL SAND ITS NOT LIVE SAND. MY SET UP IS ABOUT 6 MONTHS OLD FISH ONLY I HAVE 15KG OF LIVE ROCK. I HAVE A AQUA ONE EXTERNAL FILTER POWER HEADS SOME HERMIT CRABS 2 CLOWNS 1 DAMSELL 1 HUMBUG SOME CLEANER SHRIMP ALGAE BLENNY AND A YELLOW CLOWN GOBBY. HAS ANYBODY GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO STOP THIS GROWING IVE CLEANED THE SAND AND PUT NEW OVER THE TOP TO BRIGHTEN THE TANK UP BUT ITS ALREADY STARTING TO APPEAR AFTER JUST 1 DAY:thanks:

I have had the same problem. I have not found a cure. But make sure your using rodi water. And try to lower phosphates. I found poly pads are great at this. Also shorten the amount of time your light is on ( livestock permitted).

The red Algae is Cayno bacteria and can be contained if you shorter your lighting, put out more flow in your tank, Stop overing feeding or feed every other day if your feeding everyday. Also you might have signs of Phosphates are you running any type of GFO or Bio-pellets?

A uv sterilizer fixed my algae and it makes ur water look just flat out awesome! Just put it on a slow flow so it has more time to burn stuff out of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom