Red algae on rocks now bubble too

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonniewoodruff

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been battling red algae on my rocks. I have been scraping and siphoning off. I do 10% water change every week and have a sump with bio balls,skimmer, and a refugium. I have tested the water and show 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. I understand that the algae is consuming the nutrients and that is why they are at 0. Tank is a 90 gallon cube. I have a coral beauty angle, 2 clown fish, 3 damsels, a anemone. The clean up crew is hermit crabs, a few brittle starfish, a few serpent starfish, 2 emerald crabs, some Nassarius snails, 2 turbo snails and a tiger conch. I use ro water only.
I now have bubble algae on top of the red algae. I feed 1/2 frozen cube every other day. There is also alot of cyno on my sand bed now. Can I remove it ans add more live sand to it? I have read about dipping rocks in peroxide but not sure what to do.
I am not sure where the excess nutrients could be coming from.
Thanks in advance for your advice.:banghead:

All are signs of nutrient issues. Though you are testing at 0, all the algae and cyano are consuming the nutrients.
Feed less and sparingly, use ro/di water, so on.

Would get rid off the bio balls their nitrate factory's

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I have had my lights off and the bubble algae is almost gone and the red is a lot less. Does any one know if it is ok to add sand to my sand bed. I am mixing water and I am going to have to remove some to get red algae out of the sand. I don't want to create any more issues than I have already. A also have a 65 gallon cube tank. Should I move the anemone to that tank? It is being hosted by the 2 clarki clownfish but is very small now that the lights are out.

Seems you are moving about a mile a minute. The cyano will come right back when your lights are on. Still a nutrient issue to be addressed.
You can add sand to your sandbed, just make sure it is clean. Use a piece of PVC pipe to gently pour into your sand to avoid making a sandstorm and give yourself another issue.
In terms of your anemone, you should keep one in whichever tank has the lighting to support a creature that requires high intensity lighting. This is all aside form them needing pristine water, something that can take from 6 months to a year to develop and not have parameter swings in most tanks.

Back
Top Bottom