Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Red Algae Problem / Bio Wheel

Basically I got a new tank setup (marineland deluxe 29) and inherited seven year LR, water, and a couple of fish (2 damsels, royal gramma, clown, and angelfish). The only two problems that I am experiencing is that the bio wheel is either running really slow or not running at all and a red algae problem. What can I do to fix these and are they normal?

Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I used the Bio Wheel for awhile for flow only. You may not even need the wheel depending on how much LR you have in the tank. Post back and let us know how many lbs of LR you have then you may be able to take the wheel out and use the filter for flow/circualtion only. Mine acted as a kind of sump I bred brine shrimp in almost like an auto feeder for the fish. As far as the red algae goes I tried everything and as a last resort I turned to Chemicals ( I know this is frowned upon by the rest of the forum but it seemed to work well for me) I used UltraLife Reef Products red slime remover from the LFS

Old 05-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got the live rock from a friend and am not sure of the exact weight, but he beleives that it is between 25-35 pounds. I mean it is a 29 gallon tank and the rock almost over crowds it, although the fish love it. As for the algae, im gonna go pick up some of the slime remover and see if it works. Is that enough live rock?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

your first problem is your over stocked if the fish are still small your ok for now. for red slime give us some more info do you have power heads, do you have a cleanup crew, are your lights old what are your water reedings, is it all over or on one side i had no problem getting rid of it in my 30g
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

red algae is usually cyno bacteria, do a search on this or red slime and you will find tons of posts on this.
What kind of water are you using? check for phosphates, cyno needs this to live. Old bulbs can also help it grow as well as low flow in tanks. Chemicals should be a last resourt.

if its slimy to the touch its cyno, ciphon it out when you do a water change. Use ro/di or distilled water. Tap water is not good.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the replies. Currently I am running two powerheads on the top of the water, my cleaning crew is still quite small and is based up of 5 hermit crabs, and the lights that I am using are from the manufactures hood that came with the setup (marineland 29 gallon deluxe combo). My water readings are as follows: Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5, PH - 8.2, salinity - 1.021. The red algae originally was on one rock on saturday, now it is all over most of the rocks, on the substrate, and approaching the glass walls. At the rate that it is gorwing it would pretty much consume the tank by sunday or monday (estimate). I do not have a phosphate test kit, but am really considering buying one. My next water change is due this weekeend, should I just do it now or wait and syphon it out this weekend? Thanks A lot
Old 05-31-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would do it now also you can use air tube to suck it out and take vary lil water with it for up keep with the slime. I would also bump up your cleaning crew in my 30 g i have 30 crabs and snails i find a nice mix works well. also consider taking any media out of the bio wheel i would leave the wheel. i found i got better flow if i put a power head in the bottom corner and most importantly no tap water always ro
Old 06-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You did not tell us what type of water you are using?? A PO4 kit is a must have if your have cyno issues.

Inverts IMO will do nothing for cyno, I have tried many different types of inverts with no luck. have the water tested at a LFS and post the numbers.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, bio, eel, red algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com