Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Even though no new livestock has been added since I started the tank, I moved what I had to it from the old. The bacteria colonies are still adjusting? Wow, didn't think it took that long. I lost my regal tang when the sandbed got blown all over the place and I tested and found .25 nitrite but nothing else(ammonia, phosphate). Other than that one instance and when the tank was cycling, I haven't had any parameter issues. My nitrates are my biggest problem and they stay under 10. But, I will will do what you suggested anyway, better safe than sorry.

I completely forgot about the one year thing, you guys are right on researching as much as possible before buying anything. If I see anything during this week, I'll take it back, no sense in killing something over ignorance.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
Even though no new livestock has been added since I started the tank, I moved what I had to it from the old. The bacteria colonies are still adjusting? Wow, didn't think it took that long. I lost my regal tang when the sandbed got blown all over the place and I tested and found .25 nitrite but nothing else(ammonia, phosphate). Other than that one instance and when the tank was cycling, I haven't had any parameter issues. My nitrates are my biggest problem and they stay under 10. But, I will will do what you suggested anyway, better safe than sorry.

I completely forgot about the one year thing, you guys are right on researching as much as possible before buying anything. If I see anything during this week, I'll take it back, no sense in killing something over ignorance.
It is sort of strange how long it takes a tank to mature. My tank were perfect for the first year. I did weekly 20% water changes and my nitrates stayed below 20 if I let it go for an extra week during the first year my nitrates would go up to 30 or 40. now that my tank is 1 year and 6 months old I do water changes every other week and my nitrates get to a max of 10. coraline algae exploded in my tank at almost the year mark and my rocks and glass are completely coverd now. There is just something magical about the year mark. newbies listen to this. if you think your are being patient and going slow then slow down a little more.

Tags
sea, star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com