Red knob sea star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased one yesterday and while acclimating read about the trasfer to the tank and done as recommended. Moves around fine and has eaten a few pellets placed around him. Anything special about keeping one other than the usual? I knew ahead of time they will demolish corals but liked it and placed him in anyway.

I asked awhile back about trying my hand at corals and haven't purchased any yet. I get the bug for coral and go around looking but end up finding something I like better instead. I forgot to add that little detail. But, so far so good, I fed him a shrimp chunk and he went to town. When I feed him would it be ok to lift one arm and place the food under it so nothing else gets it or is that something that would harm it?

Target feeding him like that is fine. That way you can be sure he gets what he needs. You shouldn't need to target feed him to much though as long as you have an established tank.

The tank is only about 4mos old so I will need to feed. I want him to get used to being fed shrimp so he won't go after anything else in the tank. I read whatever they get ahold of is considered dinner, so I will feed him about 3x a week starting off and then get a feel for his eating habits.

OK that`s understandable. One thing I would caution is that stars need a mature tank of at least a yr. old. Not just for feeding purposes but because of the stable parameters it brings.

Is the 1 yr suggestion due to bio load or the tank itself as a whole? What I mean, is it just water params or is there something like an enviromental equillibrium?

It`s just that your nitrifying bacteria has not taken over completely and the changing bioload is causing swings.

Oh ok, so it would be best to take it back I assume. I figured a few months in with no added fish, there would not be any problems. I read thy are a pretty tough animal compared to linkia's. I do test every week and haven't seen any spikes or anything, but I guess if even an unreadable parameter spike happens, that can do them in? My ph stays at 8.3, the salinity stays at 1.024, and the temp stays at 78. That's what I read was the biggest concern for sea stars other than the ammonia and things of that nature. I really would like to keep it, but if now is not the time then I will take it back.

I`m not really as concerned for those as I am the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Check those every other day for a week and see if they vary.

Even though no new livestock has been added since I started the tank, I moved what I had to it from the old. The bacteria colonies are still adjusting? Wow, didn't think it took that long. I lost my regal tang when the sandbed got blown all over the place and I tested and found .25 nitrite but nothing else(ammonia, phosphate). Other than that one instance and when the tank was cycling, I haven't had any parameter issues. My nitrates are my biggest problem and they stay under 10. But, I will will do what you suggested anyway, better safe than sorry.

I completely forgot about the one year thing, you guys are right on researching as much as possible before buying anything. If I see anything during this week, I'll take it back, no sense in killing something over ignorance.

Even though no new livestock has been added since I started the tank, I moved what I had to it from the old. The bacteria colonies are still adjusting? Wow, didn't think it took that long. I lost my regal tang when the sandbed got blown all over the place and I tested and found .25 nitrite but nothing else(ammonia, phosphate). Other than that one instance and when the tank was cycling, I haven't had any parameter issues. My nitrates are my biggest problem and they stay under 10. But, I will will do what you suggested anyway, better safe than sorry.

I completely forgot about the one year thing, you guys are right on researching as much as possible before buying anything. If I see anything during this week, I'll take it back, no sense in killing something over ignorance.

It is sort of strange how long it takes a tank to mature. My tank were perfect for the first year. I did weekly 20% water changes and my nitrates stayed below 20 if I let it go for an extra week during the first year my nitrates would go up to 30 or 40. now that my tank is 1 year and 6 months old I do water changes every other week and my nitrates get to a max of 10. coraline algae exploded in my tank at almost the year mark and my rocks and glass are completely coverd now. There is just something magical about the year mark. newbies listen to this. if you think your are being patient and going slow then slow down a little more.

Back
Top Bottom