Red slim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reef-master003

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have red slim in my tank and I want to treat it before it becomes too serious.Is there any type of invertebrates than I can get to eliminate it.

Cyano is a sign of poor water conditions. First I'd figure out what the cause of your high nitrates and phosphates are (too much feeding, not cleaning filter media etc). Then you can siphon the cyano off and make some large water changes. If all else fails, you can get red slime remover made by chemiclean. Works pretty well. Unless the cause of the cyano is addressed, it'll just keep coming back.

I got it off of my sandbed last night and did a water change,but it's still some on my live rock,someone told me to buy some "chemiclean" and it should be gone in a couple days?

I'd brush your rock and siphon it off. If after you change your feeding habits, it's still growing then you can use chemiclean. It works well, but you have to keep your skimmer off for a couple days while it works.

Reef-master003 said:
I got it off of my sandbed last night and did a water change,but it's still some on my live rock,someone told me to buy some "chemiclean" and it should be gone in a couple days?

Using chemiclean will not solve the issue. Nutrients are the problem that needs addressed. Proper maintenance and siphoning out of the cyano will fix the problem along with figuring out where the nutrients are coming from.

Schism said:
Using chemiclean will not solve the issue. Nutrients are the problem that needs addressed. Proper maintenance and siphoning out of the cyano will fix the problem along with figuring out where the nutrients are coming from.

Ok,I feed my fish every other day and I run my lights from 1:00-9:00,is this ok

I had lots of different micro algae, making sure all food is being eaten when I'm feeding, your lights aren't on to long and keeping up with water changes sorted out mine, once my tank was established ( 16 months in my case) every thing seems to run smoothly as long as I didn't get lazy on maintenance, think about your cuc, I added 3 medium sized emerald crabs a year ago and they have kept hair, brown and bubbly algea under control,fascinating to watch to, I also added a algae Blenny, very interesting fish with a huge appetite for hair algae, animals won't eradicate algae hence why we call it algae control, good water is the key to a clean tank IMO,

Reef-master003 said:
Ok,I feed my fish every other day and I run my lights from 1:00-9:00,is this ok

Usually lighting schedules run about 10-12 hours. Also light has nothing to do with cyano. The feeding schedule is fine.

What is your maintenance schedule?

What filtration? How often cleaned?

Also what are your current nitrate and phosphate readings?

Schism said:
Usually lighting schedules run about 10-12 hours. Also light has nothing to do with cyano. The feeding schedule is fine.

What is your maintenance schedule?

What filtration? How often cleaned?

Also what are your current nitrate and phosphate readings?

It's 2 black perc clowns in a 46 gal fowlr,5 gallon water change once a month,feed them every other day(frozen shrimp/flakes),scrub glass when needed,change filters every 2 months

Reef-master003 said:
It's 2 black perc clowns in a 46 gal fowlr,5 gallon water change once a month,feed them every other day(frozen shrimp/flakes),scrub glass when needed,change filters every 2 months

Thats your problem, at minimum biweekly maintenance. Things are rotting inside your tank producing nitrates and phosphates. Filters need weekly maintenance.

Step up your maintenance and you should see your problem go away with a bit of time.

Thartsockpg said:
What kind of filter maintenance are you doing? Like washing it of with water or replacing it?

Yes thats what im referring to. I use skimmer and live rock so no need to regularly clean like canisters and power filters.

You need to be washing the filter cartridge every other day or every few days and at minimum replace every other week if not every week depending on bioload and how dirty the tank gets.

Canisters work for saltwater but if not regularly maintained then they are a failure. One reason why many people opt for a berlin style filtration system consisting of a sump, skimmer and live rock.

Schism said:
Yes thats what im referring to. I use skimmer and live rock so no need to regularly clean like canisters and power filters.

You need to be washing the filter cartridge every other day or every few days and at minimum replace every other week if not every week depending on bioload and how dirty the tank gets.

Canisters work for saltwater but if not regularly maintained then they are a failure. One reason why many people opt for a berlin style filtration system consisting of a sump, skimmer and live rock.

I replace cartridges every 4-5 weeks

Back
Top Bottom