Red slime remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandyRhoads

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I have a 25 gal with 8 pounds of LR 20 pounds LS 1 dwarf lion , 1 snowflake moray, 7 hermits, 2 snails. The tank is a little over a month old. In my newbie mistake I had the lighting on for 18 hours a day, and it became disgusting. I bought some Excital red slime remover per the fish stores advice, as well as cut the lighting down to 8 hours a day.

I'm using a cheap penguin hang on filter for mechanical filtration. The directions on the slime remover say remove all carbon from the filters but keep it running. I removed my filter pads, and have been using it for 3 days. I don't see how I can remove the carbon without the filter. Am I doing this correctly? I now have 0 mechanical filtration...

Thanks.

Have u checked your nitrates or phosphate that's stuff you bought works but it will not get it all when it does work work on the problem!!

I get red slim when my nitrates and phosphates are high my light usually get a green algae

Nitrates are fine, yes it got cycled. What is the underlying problem, just that I had an 18 hour light cycle? I just googled this product and found nothing but negative reviews. Guess it's a complete waste of money. I don't even know if it was cyano to begin with it was more goose poop green/brown than red but the guy at the local store threw this at me and said this was normal for a new tank...

If you don't have and corals then clean most of the algae then leave your light off for a couple of days till its totally gone

Ok thanks. Should I just stop using this product and put the filter back in? IF I continue using it what do I do with the filter?

Worse comes to worse put a blanket over you tank for a couple of day no light algae can't grow it will die off make sure you clean as much as u can first when u clean it wait for it to go in your filter and then clean that to

That product will work fine and do no harm. i assume its just like chemi clean which works great for removing red slime and harms nothing if used properly.

Also what you want to make sure is that the product dose not contain antibiotics or Algicides. As it will restart the cycle. Chemiclean dose not contain either.

I just looked at the product and it will do no harm and will probably work.

have you considered a clean up crew
they will mow down your algae infestation much more effective with no chemical additives

Thanks to both of you. I have 7 hermit crabs and 3 snails, or had I can't find one. I plan on getting more around the first when I get paid.

I'm glad it will work and do no harm, but in regards to the carbon.... am I really supposed to leave all mechanical filtration out for the 10 day treatment? The only filter pads I have, have carbon in it. In fact, after looking at pictures i'm pretty sure it isn't cyanobacteria. It's not red and thick like in the pictures.

Can you get some cotton batton for the old box filters and fill the cavity where your filter pads normally go? I used to have a penguin many years ago but I can't remember if that was the one I did that for one time. If you can stuff it in there without interfering with the pump impeller it should work.

All I meant was if u can fix the problem with out that kind of stuff is better yes I have use chemi clean it worked a little but fixing the problem and with algae eaters to made the tank better then before that stuff don't always work

they sell filter pads that you cut to size that contains no carbon they usually use this padding in ponds I love this stuff and swear by it, under 10 bucks 1 package last me 3 months and that's with 3 tanks

Back
Top Bottom