Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

What bothers me is that you said that it's not slime? cyanobacteria is slime in texture. So does it rub off or not?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Some parts do look like cyano. Like Austinsdad said check your phosphate level. Have you used tap water for your tank?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
What bothers me is that you said that it's not slime? cyanobacteria is slime in texture. So does it rub off or not?
No... not at all. Me and my gf is taking turn to observe it and making notes, comparing pictures to see if there are any further growth. As far as our observation goes, we didn't see any other growth on other areas. I've seen pictures of some tank and it wasn't good. Not slimy... for now. I hope it will not go that way. Thank you guys for all of your inputs.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don7 View Post
Some parts do look like cyano. Like Austinsdad said check your phosphate level. Have you used tap water for your tank?
Yah, we did start of with tap water and I bought some R/O water, incase I need to do water change. The tank is still cycling, some folks tells me to do water change to level down the ammonia,nitrates, nitrites same as the phosphate while other folks tells me not to do water change. Kinda getting confused with that part.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your ammonia is really high (7-8)8) 8) then I would do a small water change if not just wait to the end of your cycle, ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and do a 50% PWC to bring your nitrates down before you add any tank life.
Sorry for all the cool looks but for some reason my computer won't let me add an 8...
Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #16

*update*

It's been more than a day now since discovering the reddish/purplish spot on my LR. Initial, observation with the tank, water is clear, no white things attach to the glass. LS is not showing any carpeting characteristics of cyanobacteria. The spots are not multiplying and it remains in the area where it is initially found, again these spots are not slimy like a cyanobacteria. I keep in check the water parameters.

Most recent reading:

Ammonia = .25
Phosphate = .50
Nitrate = 20 ppm
Nitrite = .50
pH = 8.4
Temp = 76
KH = 300

Since the phosphate reading is .50, should I do a minor water change? same is with my other parameters. my nitrite is kinda high.

P.S.

Taking a closer look the color of these spots is the same color as the underlying color of the current color of LR which is white. I will try to post pics that have better quality.

Thank you again!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #17

Better Pictures

Hello again! I found a nice camera that I can use to capture some more detailed photo of the growing red spots.

Please take a look...

Note: I took pictures with and without lighting

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00146.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	23214   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00170.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	23215  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00163.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	23216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00150.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	23217  

Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

That may be some sort of plating coralline algae. just let it go, it should be okay. At first I thought they were mushroom corals because they seem to have a yellowish dot in the center that I thought were mouths like a mushroom would have.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like the start of this type of coralline algae:
Old 04-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #20

Smile

Thank you thincat! I appreciate your input now I can sleep well and yes it is showing a little of color just like yours. Its starting to show to some of my live rocks. Same distinct characteristics as well. It is the benefial algae right? Love the pic you posted.

Tags
live, liverock, red spot, rock, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com