red stuff won't go away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
I live in the country and cant get help from the one pet store around here.i told them I keep getting redish purpleish stuff on my sand bed.they sold me chemiclean and it isn't working.its also going on my glass and decorations.i clean the glass and stir up the sand and it comes back on the sand.i have a 75 gallon community tank and everything always tests great.its been running 14 months and do a 10% water change every 2 weeks.my water is always clear so I don't no what im doing wrong.

Do you use rodi water or tap? Also what kind if filtration do you have, feeding schedule and how much, livestock, and lighting schedule? There are a lot of things that contribute to what sounds like red slime algae. Also what is your substrate (what kind of sand)?

I use tap water,about 8 hours of light and I only have a coral banded shrimp two clowns ,bangai cardinal,foxface and a needle nose ,forgot what its called.some times I let my filters go to 4 weeks cause there isn't much on them.

I use tap water,about 8 hours of light and I only have a coral banded shrimp two clowns ,bangai cardinal,foxface and a needle nose ,forgot what its called.some times I let my filters go to 4 weeks cause there isn't much on them.
the sand was the best they had in the store that's all I know

the sand was the best they had in the store that's all I know
the feeding ,I give them some flake,algae pellets for the foxface and I also give them Mysis shrimp

Most likely the source is your tap water. I had same problems until I switched to rodi water. Google red slime algae and there is some good info as to what they need to grow an thrive. Also, some sand will give problems for a long time if there were a lot of silicates in it. I would start with water quality first, and go from there. I don't have time now to go through all the things to rid it, that's why I mentioned the google part. Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom