Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would bleach the rock. No point in wasting a lot of money on new rock, when you got all of that rock laying out in your garage already.

Just bleach them and clean them and let them dry in the sun for a LONG time. The bleach just kills everything. Really might not want to bleach them, but just wash them very well and let them dry in the sun. Buy a few pounds of live rock still and use it to seed the old rock back into live rock.

I would get a skimmer, If you are doing a 55 gallon tank, I would go with Reef Octopus BH-1000. It's a hang on the back skimmer, so if your doing a sump just get another Reef Octopus that is a in the sump skimmer. The BH-1000 is just what I have, as I do not have a sump and I am using a filter. I am going to buy skimmers from now on if I do any aquarium!!

I have a 55 gallon tank now, and it's a great size. I think you can be happy with it. You sound like you already know what your doing when it comes to tank set up and cycle.

I would get a Six Line Wrasse!! Awesome looking fish! I also would consider a Flame Hawk Fish!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the info both of you!

I love Flame Hawks, but isn't there a chance they will eat shrimp?

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, I think mine ate my shrimp. :-p
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Darn! I love them, but I love shrimp too!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What made you give up a 125 gallon set up? Was it Saltwater? I am assuming it was being you got rock already.

I am going to upgrade to a 90 gallon for sure when I move out of apartment living and to a house. My wife and I have talked and we only want two tanks, both Saltwater. I want to upgrade to a 90 gallon when I move (From my 55, which I upgraded from a 29 a month ago. , than when we are more settled we want to do a 180 or bigger reef tank. I figured I can use the 55 for sump tank for the 90 gallon, and go all out on the bigger tank when we are ready.

Anyway, Welcome back to the hobby!! Hope things work out for you.. I know I got hooked on Saltwater when I first set up my 29 gallon. I might never do a freshwater tank again. :-p
Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, I would stay away from the canister filter. I had one on my 55 gallon reef for a couple weeks and I hated it!

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Jmay33

Everyone has told me that, but I feel as if they do not take the time to clean the canister filter. All of the issues they say they had, I never had (as of yet), and I have ran my tank for over 5 months now.

I clean my filter once a month to get all the big stuff out. I clean it in dirty tank water, as to not kill my friendly bacteria. My tank water is crystal clear, and my tank perimeters are spot on perfect!

I want a sump tank, and when I get the money I will convert over to a sump! But, I might keep my filter on just because I like how it keeps the water crystal clear! If your doing a reef, than yea go with a sump tank. My set up is just a FOWLR tank and I believe my filter has been more of a help than a hindrance.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
Jmay33

Everyone has told me that, but I feel as if they do not take the time to clean the canister filter. All of the issues they say they had, I never had (as of yet), and I have ran my tank for over 5 months now.

I clean my filter once a month to get all the big stuff out. I clean it in dirty tank water, as to not kill my friendly bacteria. My tank water is crystal clear, and my tank perimeters are spot on perfect!

I want a sump tank, and when I get the money I will convert over to a sump! But, I might keep my filter on just because I like how it keeps the water crystal clear! If your doing a reef, than yea go with a sump tank. My set up is just a FOWLR tank and I believe my filter has been more of a help than a hindrance.
I only had mine for a week, it was set up properly and almost flooded my apartment several times. That's why I hated it. There was no time for it to get dirty. Just one persons opinion.

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am so sorry for my late post!

Baron- I gave up the 125g because I learned about zoonotic diseases (like mycobacterium marinum), and palytoxin. I then became very worried.

Thanks both of you for your posts, I really appreciate it!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi everyone! Sorry for the lack of posts! I still don't have a tank yet, but should DEFINITELY come mid-November. (at the latest). I am thinking I will go with a 75g too.

Since I think I will go with a 75, I should be able to get a small Tang (like Kole).

Tags
55 gallon, build, fowlr, redsea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com