redsea's 55g FOWLR Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everybody! As some of you know, I have had SW tanks in the past, but don't have any currently. In the coming months I plan on setting up a 55g saltwater, and am very excited. I won't be setting up the tank for a while, however. :) For stocking I know that I definitely want a pair of Designer Clowns and some kind of Wrasse. Other than that stocking is up in the air. That is all for now, thanks for following!​

EDIT: 55g is just an estimate, I am not sure if that is the size I am going with yet. :) Could also end up being 40g, etc. :)

Last edited:
So should I still buy a skimmer with a 55g FOWLR? What else would you recommend equipment wise for this setup? If it was up to me, I would prefer not to have a sump, but if it is needed I would be willing to add one.

I am going to be using dry rock and dry sand too. :)

I will be following along as I'm hoping to have a FOWLR in the future and you have a lot of the same questions that I do. :) Excited for you!

Thanks for the input, I will hopefully get the tank in either April or May, we will see! My goal is to get my first fish by mid-July. :)

Quick question!

I have some leftover rock from my past 125g build, but it has been sitting in the garage for the past few months where there is fertilizer, etc.

Would it be okay to use providing I wash it well? Thanks for any input you may have! :)

I have been thinking of possibly going with a Deep Blue 57g Rimless Tank and stand.

I have heard that the Deep Blue stands aren't all that fantastic, however. What do you all think?

Thank you! :)

Actually, I have pretty much decided to go with a standard 55g. I am going to try to get one and a stand from Petco before the end of the month, that way I can take advantage of the dollar per gallon sale. :)

Update on stocking:

I still plan on purchasing a pair of Designer Clowns and a Wrasse. In addition, I am thinking of adding some Cleaner Shrimp and a Fire Shrimp, along with a few Emerald Crabs.

Thanks for reading my little update!

A good canister filter along with a HOB ( in addition to live rock and live sand of course) should be plenty of filtration for a 55 fowlr.

I would bleach the rock. No point in wasting a lot of money on new rock, when you got all of that rock laying out in your garage already.

Just bleach them and clean them and let them dry in the sun for a LONG time. The bleach just kills everything. Really might not want to bleach them, but just wash them very well and let them dry in the sun. Buy a few pounds of live rock still and use it to seed the old rock back into live rock.

I would get a skimmer, If you are doing a 55 gallon tank, I would go with Reef Octopus BH-1000. It's a hang on the back skimmer, so if your doing a sump just get another Reef Octopus that is a in the sump skimmer. The BH-1000 is just what I have, as I do not have a sump and I am using a filter. I am going to buy skimmers from now on if I do any aquarium!!

I have a 55 gallon tank now, and it's a great size. I think you can be happy with it. You sound like you already know what your doing when it comes to tank set up and cycle.

I would get a Six Line Wrasse!! Awesome looking fish! I also would consider a Flame Hawk Fish!

Thanks for the info both of you!

I love Flame Hawks, but isn't there a chance they will eat shrimp? :-D

What made you give up a 125 gallon set up? Was it Saltwater? I am assuming it was being you got rock already.

I am going to upgrade to a 90 gallon for sure when I move out of apartment living and to a house. My wife and I have talked and we only want two tanks, both Saltwater. I want to upgrade to a 90 gallon when I move (From my 55, which I upgraded from a 29 a month ago. :), than when we are more settled we want to do a 180 or bigger reef tank. I figured I can use the 55 for sump tank for the 90 gallon, and go all out on the bigger tank when we are ready.

Anyway, Welcome back to the hobby!! Hope things work out for you.. I know I got hooked on Saltwater when I first set up my 29 gallon. I might never do a freshwater tank again. :p

IMO, I would stay away from the canister filter. I had one on my 55 gallon reef for a couple weeks and I hated it!

Jmay33

Everyone has told me that, but I feel as if they do not take the time to clean the canister filter. All of the issues they say they had, I never had (as of yet), and I have ran my tank for over 5 months now.

I clean my filter once a month to get all the big stuff out. I clean it in dirty tank water, as to not kill my friendly bacteria. My tank water is crystal clear, and my tank perimeters are spot on perfect!

I want a sump tank, and when I get the money I will convert over to a sump! But, I might keep my filter on just because I like how it keeps the water crystal clear! If your doing a reef, than yea go with a sump tank. My set up is just a FOWLR tank and I believe my filter has been more of a help than a hindrance.

Jmay33

Everyone has told me that, but I feel as if they do not take the time to clean the canister filter. All of the issues they say they had, I never had (as of yet), and I have ran my tank for over 5 months now.

I clean my filter once a month to get all the big stuff out. I clean it in dirty tank water, as to not kill my friendly bacteria. My tank water is crystal clear, and my tank perimeters are spot on perfect!

I want a sump tank, and when I get the money I will convert over to a sump! But, I might keep my filter on just because I like how it keeps the water crystal clear! If your doing a reef, than yea go with a sump tank. My set up is just a FOWLR tank and I believe my filter has been more of a help than a hindrance.

I only had mine for a week, it was set up properly and almost flooded my apartment several times. That's why I hated it. There was no time for it to get dirty. Just one persons opinion.

I am so sorry for my late post!

Baron- I gave up the 125g because I learned about zoonotic diseases (like mycobacterium marinum), and palytoxin. I then became very worried.

Thanks both of you for your posts, I really appreciate it! :)

Hi everyone! Sorry for the lack of posts! I still don't have a tank yet, but should DEFINITELY come mid-November. (at the latest). :) I am thinking I will go with a 75g too. :)

Since I think I will go with a 75, I should be able to get a small Tang (like Kole). :)

Back
Top Bottom