redsea's Plan-Next Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everybody! I wanted to start a thread to chat about my upcoming build. This particular tank will be a FOWLR, and it won't be very large, but I do plan on a larger tank in the future. :)

For stock, I know that I definitely want some Clownfish, along with some other smaller fish. I also will most likely be adding Emerald Crabs and Shrimp. Maybe even a Lobster! :-D

As for actual size, I am thinking 29g at the very least.

Lastly, I may be interested in running an algae scrubber for this build.

That is all for now, thanks (and please post your suggestions/thoughts/opinions)

Grats on the upcoming build. :) I'm along for the ride of course! lol

29g is a great size if you settle on that. What about a 40B? They have an awesome footprint. :)

Do you guys foresee any issues with putting my saltwater from PWCs into the woods? Would it end up in my or a neighbor's well?

Thanks a bunch!

Wish i had the answer buddy, :), but I don't. LOL I probably wouldnt do it for fear of getting the neighbor upset.

I dont see there being a prob. Used saltwater should be the least of their concern when it comes to what is going into their well

Thanks Huma and Carey! I really appreciate both of your opinions.

Maybe I will just end up putting it down the drain in my backyard (that leads to the road). My only concern with that was if it was legal or not, so I need to check that out first. :)

Also, a while back Gregcoyote suggested starting up a trash barrel of water from PWCs and taking water out periodically to put in my septic (which seemed like a great idea to me :))

The problem with PWCs is I completely overanalyze everything and turn everything into an extreme! :lol:

Thanks again everyone for checking out my thread.

Well I suppose if you aren't doing huge water changes you could use the septic, juts gotta be sure not to put too much at a time down there, it can flood the leech field and the tank.

I have a septic as well and have not thought twice about using it for all my tanks. lol I have never flooded out the system even putting over100g at a time down there. ( when i do both big tanks back to back).

Wouldn't the lobster eat the shrimp, crab and fish. Ill be honest never kept one just from what's have heard

Do you guys foresee any issues with putting my saltwater from PWCs into the woods? Would it end up in my or a neighbor's well?

Thanks a bunch!

pouring the saltwater on the ground will kill any plant life there. as for it getting into a well by the time it leaches through all that soil the water will be salt free.

I have a VERY small lobster and he is just fine with fish and shrimp under an inch. The lobster I have has no claws. Florida spiny lobster.

Thanks a bunch!

Nice to see a new build red. I dump all of my waste water into the woods. I use it to control the woods, since it is literally arms reach out my living room window. It has caused no issue to my spring or the cistern where the water gathers. It is only harmful in mass quantities. You can actually use diluted saltwater to fertilize your garden, even more effectively if you protein skim. 1-10 ratio if i remember correctly.

Thanks everyone for posting!

I am not sure yet if I would go for the lobster, but if I did it would be one similar to what was suggested. :)

As for waste water, I probably wouldn't have to worry about my water getting in a neighbor's area/well, as none of them are super close by to where I would be dumping (we have about an acre of land). There are so many options for water! :lol:

Thanks for all the opinions/responses everybody! I really, really appreciate reading your ideas! :)

Thanks again everyone for posting! I am not sure if I mentioned that I plan on an algae scrubber for this tank, so that should cut down a little bit on the need for PWCs (not completely though, :)). I am a little bit scared though, as it seems like most of them are a DIY kind of thing, but I am sure I can manage it with some help :hide:.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom