Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reef Octopus BH-1000

Just set up this skimmer today. Where do I want my collection cup in relation to how it is now ( please see pic ) ? Do I want it lower so more of the white bubbly foam essentially pours over the top of the tube and into the cup... Or higher so the stuff doesn't even reach the top at all... Or basically right where it is so the stuff reaches the top but doesn't overflow? I realize this isn't actually "skimming" yet due to break in period, but I need to know how to let it run. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3987298903.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	105335

Old 07-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer
Just set up this skimmer today. Where do I want my collection cup in relation to how it is now ( please see pic ) ? Do I want it lower so more of the white bubbly foam essentially pours over the top of the tube and into the cup... Or higher so the stuff doesn't even reach the top at all... Or basically right where it is so the stuff reaches the top but doesn't overflow? I realize this isn't actually "skimming" yet due to break in period, but I need to know how to let it run. Thanks!
Where its at looks good for now, once its broke in you may have to move it up or down a bit depending. But u want a nice dark green/brown skimmate. If it a real clearish color then you need to move the cup up slightly to achieve a dryer skim.

Hope that helps, i run this skimmer on my 29g reef. Had it for over a year and its worked great.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I don't actually want it spilling into the collection cup, if I interpreted what you said correctly? Its actually producing a dirty water at the bottom of the cup... Is that a good sign?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok so I don't actually want it spilling into the collection cup, if I interpreted what you said correctly? Its actually producing a dirty water at the bottom of the cup... Is that a good sign?
Yea that is skimmate. It the dirty water becomes more clear then the cup needs moved up usually. I think your fine right now. Usually i need to empty my cup 1-2 times a week. Just check it daily. I probably get a 1/4" a day
Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice thanks a lot! Anything else I need to know about that skimmer? Other than that the directions it came with suck
Old 07-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Nice thanks a lot! Anything else I need to know about that skimmer? Other than that the directions it came with suck
Nope not really. I removed all the sponges in mine. Give it a good cleaning every few months and it will stay running like a charm.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice... My LFS told me to put the sponge here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3992049122.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	105343

The other one is left as is how it came.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Nice... My LFS told me to put the sponge here:

The other one is left as is how it came.
The sponges are to help reduce micro bubbles, however once broken in i neee has a problem with micro bubbles. The sponges will clog up and trap organics just so you know. They need cleaned often, however getting them out to clean is not the easiest.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahhhh cool thanks again!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually one more question for ya? The water level in the return side goes up and down, and doesn't stay consistent. It's actually the same for the collection cup, I can see the bubbles go up and then come down... Is this just how this pump functions? Or is it just getting more water at times due to the flow in my tank?

Tags
octopus, reef, reef octopus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com