Reef switched to FOWLR 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Had a bit of an issue with my reef because of an outbreak in hydriods that killed all my corals so i had the choice of killing all the rock and risking my fish dying because of having to go though a fish in cycle so i just changed it to FOWLR and I am rather happy with my choice. I really like it and I get to keep some fish iv really been wanting that are alot of fun like my snowflake eel. here are equipment and Pictures

Equipment
Reef octopus NWB150
2x 25x3w leds from cree (rapid led build)
Mag7
2x 1250
1x 750

img_2193099_0_f6137caa3eac322db0520dec3f1f3928.jpg

img_2193099_1_ba99155bc0aed202f9120839ad2b4580.jpg

The main intent for this aquarium is to grow out a few of my fish for my 8ftx3ftx30" that i will be installing in less then a year.

Very nice! How much live rock is in there atm?

diggin' the snowflake. How big is he?

Anywayz, really nice tank; tbh I think fowlr's are a lot more fun than reefs.

What kind of hydroids did you have? Was it the digitate hydroids, or the colonial? I've got some digitates in my 125 and was curious if they'd bother any coral I'd get cuz I'm dieing to get a frogspawn!

And very good looking tank btw!

I like it! Do you have a Marine Betta!?

Yup dont listen to what people say about them being boring. They do hide alot but they wow everyone who sees the tank.

Very nice! How much live rock is in there atm?

diggin' the snowflake. How big is he?

Anywayz, really nice tank; tbh I think fowlr's are a lot more fun than reefs.

There is like 50-60lbs of live rock. I dont like a ton of rock around esspecially beings ill have some fish that will be a little big for the tank by the time i set up the new one that more open swim space the better. The snowflake is about 10-12" and about as thick as a pinky. hes a great little guy.

What kind of hydroids did you have? Was it the digitate hydroids, or the colonial? I've got some digitates in my 125 and was curious if they'd bother any coral I'd get cuz I'm dieing to get a frogspawn!

And very good looking tank btw!

Yes digitate is what i had and they kill everything other then zoas who just dont like them. I lost like $500+ in corals because of them.

CleverBs said:
Yup dont listen to what people say about them being boring. They do hide alot but they wow everyone who sees the tank.

There is like 50-60lbs of live rock. I dont like a ton of rock around esspecially beings ill have some fish that will be a little big for the tank by the time i set up the new one that more open swim space the better. The snowflake is about 10-12" and about as thick as a pinky. hes a great little guy.

Yes digitate is what i had and they kill everything other then zoas who just dont like them. I lost like $500+ in corals because of them.

Oh i 100% agree! Mine used to hide but is out and about all the time now! He sits front and center around 5pm onward:) I was just wondering because only 2 other members have one. (to my knowledge)

CleverBs said:

Dang! I'm sorry to hear that! They seem to come and go in my tank, but they've been driving me nuts cuz I been trying to figure out a way to get rid of them, and it seems the only way to kill the rock pretty much!

And thanks for the response, I been looking online to see if they'd actually kill coral or not, and haven't really seen any first hand experience.
Mainly just people who have never experienced them giving mixed responses

Dang! I'm sorry to hear that! They seem to come and go in my tank, but they've been driving me nuts cuz I been trying to figure out a way to get rid of them, and it seems the only way to kill the rock pretty much!

And thanks for the response, I been looking online to see if they'd actually kill coral or not, and haven't really seen any first hand experience.
Mainly just people who have never experienced them giving mixed responses

yes the only way to get rid of them is to kill the rock, it actually is what led me to make the tank a fowlr. I had a terrible infection because i didnt know what they were so i never made sure to simply remove a small rock or coral that had one on it and take care of it so my tank was over run, I mean i had 500-1000 hydroids in my tank. I noticed my corals to start dying slowly and it looked as though they were having a tissue issue but it would be anyplace on the coral not just the bottoms. So i first thought i had an acro crab of some kind but that just didnt make any sense to me because almost all my rock is dry rock and the live rock i seeded it with i know there where no crabs in it. So i kept inspecting and figured out that the spots of the coral that where dying had a hydroid wiping it in the spot. and when they start stinging it doesnt seem that only the part of the coral is affected the whole coral would end up dying. so I pulled out 50% of my rock and killed it off then put it in a 40g breeder to cycle it. I was then going to put that half in and remove the other half and do the same thing. This however would put alot of my fish at risk because they would have to go through some type of fish in cycle and well I love all my fish and I cant bear to know based on my mistakes they died. so I decided to move all my small reef fish into a 40g (Snowflake clowns, Midisblenny, gramma, chromis, and a watchman) and move the remaining corals i have left into that tank. And i just used the remaining 50% of the rocks to do a new rock-scape and added sand for my dragon wrasse. I am very happy with my choice. A 40g reef tank is much less work then a 75g because my 40g is right next to my water source and my 75g is 2 flights of stairs away.

My shark is growing in his egg well and is surprisingly active. I have ordered a pre formed pond liner because I don't think the shark is going to be happy in the 75g very long. I will build a farm out of 2x4s to help support the mold. I'll put sand in it and live rock and everything if he starts to get to big. When he is. Longer then the tank is deep he will be moved. My eel has grown about 2 inches already but that may be because I feed him every other day till he's full. I just can't stand to see the little guy Hungary lol.

Thinking about getting a new for the tank to get it some color and texture. Only doing it if I find a food healthy nem for the right price.

Back
Top Bottom