reef to FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kb322

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 120G reef setup with all the fixings. I'm thinking of switching to a FOWLR and trying to figure out what equipment I won't need.
I assume metal halide lights are not required for a FOWLR but is there any recommended lighting?
In a FOWLR is it necessary to dose with kalkwassser to keep the ph balanced?

Just curious as to why the switch to FOWLR.. most people I know move the other way, from FOWLR to reef.

Well, just kind of thinking about it right now for a few reasons. One is that I've been trying a reef for a little over 4 years now and just not having any success with SPS corals. Two is cost, both in the coral cost and electrical cost for running those MH lights. Lastly but probably most important, over the years I find myself liking many fish that cannot be kept in a reef. I hate to give up on my dream of a full blown colorful reef tank but I'm almost at wit's end.

For fish only, just power compact lighting will do. Kalkwasser is not needed any longer either. Just PWC's. SPS needs calcium more than PWCs provide.

Why not go with LPS where just lighting (maybe T5s or some stronger PCs) and occasional phyto plankton would suffice?

No need to give up on corals totally IMO. Just the hard stuff.

Well, just kind of thinking about it right now for a few reasons. One is that I've been trying a reef for a little over 4 years now and just not having any success with SPS corals. Two is cost, both in the coral cost and electrical cost for running those MH lights. Lastly but probably most important, over the years I find myself liking many fish that cannot be kept in a reef. I hate to give up on my dream of a full blown colorful reef tank but I'm almost at wit's end.

Give us a little more information about your system.

How often do you test your water? Source water? Water parameters? Filtration/flow? What all do you have in the tank?

I hate to give up but just no success with SPS corals. Most recently bought 5 SPS frags two months ago and none are doing good and almost dead, I think. I believe I have all the right equipment to be successful which is why I'm so frustrated.
My system has been running for about 4 years and consists of a 120G with built in overflows plumbed to a 55G sump in the basement. (2) Poseidon PS4 return pumps. (2)-250W MH lights and (2)-75W actinics. MH's on for 8 hours and actinics for 12. EV180 protein skimmer. 1 tunze 6060 and 1 hydor koralia 4 powerheads. RO/DI water is used. Auto top off with kalkwasser mixture. Tropic marin salt.
Water parameters using Salifert test kit: SG 1.024, Calc 400 ppm, Ammonia & Nitrates & phosphates 0, Ph ranges from 8.1 to 8.5 measured with probe, temp is maintained between 78-79 F using heaters and homemade chiller.

I would be frustrated too.

But the biggest reason really, should be that you want to house fish that are not reef safe. That alone overshadows everything else.

I don't see why you can't continue to a FOWLR tank with your current setup.... sans corals.

You can go with whatever power lighting you want so long as you don't have organisms that require light for survival.....of course.

Back
Top Bottom