Reef vs FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morticus

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is the prices of Reef vs FOWLR that I've worked up, please tell me if there is any changes you would make, or if there is a better/cheaper item I could substitute. These are not including the test kits.

Reef Tank

55g tank w/ hood - $100
5500k Venture Single-ended metal halide bulb (Do I need a special lighting system other than the hood the tank comes with?) - $92
40lbs liverocks.com keys rock, 40lbs liverocks.com gulf rock - $425
2 Rio powerheads - $30
100w heater - $23
thermometer - $5
Remora Pro Protein Skimmer - $158
=$833

FOWLR

55g tank w/ hood - $100
2 fluorescent lights – $18
Eheim Pro wet/dry filter- $200
Rio Powerhead - $15
100w heater - $23
thermometer - $5
40lbs liverocks.com keys rock $224
=$585

As it is now I am leaning more towards the FOWLR, please criticize.

Go Fish Only!!!! We need some more non-coral folks on this board :p

Seriously, without corals, nitrates are much less of an issue, you don't have to worry about lighting, dosing calcium and nutrients, feeding plankton, and wondering if that critter you had your eye on is REALLY "reef-safe".

I love my fish!

Reefs are great, but the animals I have (and wanted) do not treat corals very well.
Fish rule!! :D

Go with the FOWLR you can have way better looking fish. Also you can have a predator tank. I am happy with mine.

bad advice imo ! for one you only have a 55 gallon or looking to buy a 55 so your predators will be limited for sure in that size tank!

also no way predators are better looking than more docile reef fish!

there are happy mediums here if you go fowlr and get some small butterflys or angels

your price for the mh is only for the bulb not the ballast please do some more research on this matter but your off by at least $200 for just lights at the minimum!

also rio powerhead are the worst! go with maxi-jets 1200 :)

Ah, didn't pay attention. I agree with Keith, get a bigger tank if you can swing it.
Many more options.
For a true predator tank, think 120 gallon or better IMO.
Also don't rule out going a little less aggresive so you can get some mobile invert. They can be as much fun as the fish. :D

It's settled, FOWLR it is. The only predator I was wanting was a dwarf lionfish actually. I will go with the maxi-jets 1200 as well. So everything else on the FOWLR list is good?

Eheim Pro wet/dry filter- $200
if ya want to burn money on this sure :)
i wouldnt for two reasons
1) this isnt a good one and alot of money imo
2) wet/dry filters are soooooooooooooooooo easy to make for so cheap! i made one for my 70 gallon using a rubbermade tub and a tall kitchen garbage can that will fit width ways in the tub cut a few slits in the side of the can facing the opposite side of the tub then fill with balls ! no for a drip plate i used a tuppaware pan that fit perfectly in the kitchen can and on top of the balls and heated up the end of a small file and poked alot of holes into it ! and its been keeping my puffer's/grouper alive for years now ! all for less than $70 pluss i have room for my pumps ect..

To understand exactly what you mean I guess I'll need to know more about wet/dry filters and how they work. At the moment all I know about them is that they clean your water. Do you (or anyone else) have a picture of a homemade one I could use for reference?

I would skip the wet dry just make a sump and get 60-70 lbs of Lr as your filtration. Use the sump as a place for skimmer, heater and extra water.
W/D will only build up nitrate over time. Look int to making you own sump like SS says. No need to bioballs if you get enough LR for filtration.
I have a 55 fowlr and have old W/D with the balls taken out... I have my skimmer, heater and return pump in there. Have the tank drilled in both upper corners and I have a 20 fuge next to the tank.... Love this setup.....
If I had it to do over again I would look into a 75 or 90... thinking of upgrading to a 90 or 120 now..

I think I am going to have 40lbs of lr, with lr rubble in the wet/dry system instead of bioballs. That should be plenty of filtration even for a 75g right? (I'm thinking of getting a bigger one.) I want to have a dwarf lionfish, a yellow tang and maybe a couple more.

Just make sure that the LR rubble is under water 100% of the time. You can always go with base rock underneath your LR and have your LR seed the base to make it live. 60lbs of CA based rock from www.hirocks.com is only like $80 shipped! 8O Good quality stuff, looks just like the LR but w/o any coraline or growth. It's gonna be fun watching it grow!!

I want to have a dwarf lionfish, a yellow tang and maybe a couple more.

whoa, bad mix. Tangs are reef species and herbivores, require a LOT of macroalgae, nori, and vegetables (My friend feeds his cukes even) and lionfish are messy messy predators. Lions muck up the water, tangs require high water quality and a LOT of space. Yellows can be housed in 60 gal reef tanks, but 100+ is much more advisable. Now triggers are often just as colorful and much more compatible than tangs with lionfish. So are groupers, eels, and angels. Research is your friend, better to go slow with no casualties than charge in and lose fish and cash on poorly planned exuberance. HTH! With patience and knowlege, you will get just as hooked on this as the rest of us!

Back
Top Bottom