Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
refractometer help

I just received a refractometer I ordered online. It says to calibrate with distilled water, so I did that. Then I tested it with some 1.026 calibration fluid that I have (bought with another refractometer from a different vendor that had spots in the prism and I sent back). I thought it should read 1.026, but it reads 1.028. Both samples were at 68 degrees. Did anyone have a similar experience? Do you think it's a bad refractometer, or bad calibration fluid? Maybe it's close enough so I shouldn't worry? By the way, my hydrometer reads .002 lower than the refractometer, I have heard this is common. Thanks for your input.

lisa888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
id re-run the test 2 or 3 times. IF you have rodi water, use that to calibrate to 0

my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The proper way to calibrate it for use in a saltwater aquarium is to use calibration fluid. The difference you see between calibrating with distilled water and calibration fluid is about right since freshwater and saltwater refract (bend) light differently. Trust the reading you get after it's calibrated with the calibration fluid.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read that they should be seasoned by leaving them in your tank for a certain amount of time, before they are used.
Nomadu571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks everyone. ccCapt, I will go with your advice, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject and it makes sense to me. Like everything in this hobby, so many different opinions on every topic. I read somewhere else that you should use calibration fluid, but the directions say to use distilled water. Also a rep from Foster&Smith told me to use distilled water (with the one I had to return though, a different brand).

Nomadu571, I think you are referring to a hydrometer, I have heard that you should leave saltwater in those for 24 hrs before use.
lisa888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com