refugiums question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gvillboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I add a hang on the back refugiums to my tank will I be able to add bio balls in it for bio filtration?

Bio balls are best to have water dripped over them not submerged. You should have enough LR to provide bio filtration and with a refugium you want as much space as possible so you don't wanna take away from that with bio balls.

Ok so if I add a filter with no bio filtration and Add the refugium on back which I'll include a few live rock pieces....that will provide adequate bio filtration for my tank?

Do you have atleast 1lb per gallon of LR in your tank? If so thatll provide enough bio filtration in a correctly stocked tank.

I honestly don't know how much I have in total. Due to the fact that I bought my rock here and there I couldn't tell you the weight all together! But I think it's close! When you say stocked right, what do you mean by that?

If you are over stocked the the bio filtration can't keep up (too many fish).

Ok thanks for the information...I'll take a look into it because my tank has hair algae growing everywhere and I need to find a method to stop it????

Are you using Ro/Di water and do you know your parameters especially your nitrates and phosphates?

Yes, I use ro water. Every time I check phosphates they're 0 and my nitrates are around 20 and I can't get it to go down...I do water changes once every two weeks, but still doesn't change...

A refugium is a good idea. What fish do you have? How often do you feed and how much? What size is your tank?

It's a 35 gallon hex and I have,

2 black clown fish
3 fire fish
1 yellow tail bi color Blenny
1 yellow wrasse (can't think of the name)
1 goby (it's torpedo shaped)

I feed once a day, flake food, only what they can eat.

That may be overstocked. Algae and water quality can be hard to control in hex tanks. Most light fixtures can't properly reach the bottom and it takes a lot of flow to oxygenate them as well.

One issue you're likely to run into with a HOB refugium is fit. You might not have enough length to fit any but the smallest HOB refugiums. How long is the back panel and is there already a filter on the back?

Honestly, with a 30 hex tank you'll be better off investing in a skimmer. It would go a long way to oxygenate a tall tank with a small surface. It'll also help pull out excess organics that feed the algae. I know a refugium would help with both issues, too. I'm just not sure you could hang a large enough refugium to be of help. Those glass panels are narrow.

CorallineAlgae said:
That may be overstocked. Algae and water quality can be hard to control in hex tanks. Most light fixtures can't properly reach the bottom and it takes a lot of flow to oxygenate them as well.

One issue you're likely to run into with a HOB refugium is fit. You might not have enough length to fit any but the smallest HOB refugiums. How long is the back panel and is there already a filter on the back?

Honestly, with a 30 hex tank you'll be better off investing in a skimmer. It would go a long way to oxygenate a tall tank with a small surface. It'll also help pull out excess organics that feed the algae. I know a refugium would help with both issues, too. I'm just not sure you could hang a large enough refugium to be of help. Those glass panels are narrow.

I don't think being over stocked or the possibility of being over stocked is the issue...my algae problem was worse when I only had 3 fish, lol believe it or not! I've made some changes in food and how I feed and it seems to have slowed growth down tremendously. The problem is I want algae gone!

Flow is not problem I have two power heads the give my tank plenty of flow!

Yes, there is a filter already on the back that I plan to replace with some sort of canister. The length across the back is a foot long so would have to find a very small one! Any ideas?

I think what I'll do is invest in a protein skimmer and see how that goes!

Gvillboy said:
I don't think being over stocked or the possibility of being over stocked is the issue...my algae problem was worse when I only had 3 fish, lol believe it or not! I've made some changes in food and how I feed and it seems to have slowed growth down tremendously. The problem is I want algae gone!

Flow is not problem I have two power heads the give my tank plenty of flow!

Yes, there is a filter already on the back that I plan to replace with some sort of canister. The length across the back is a foot long so would have to find a very small one! Any ideas?

I think what I'll do is invest in a protein skimmer and see how that goes!

That's good to hear. Plenty of flow and careful feeding were good steps.

I don't know of a refugium that'll fit though I'm willing to bet you could find one online that'll be about a foot long.

Just to make certain.. about how old are the lamps in your light fixture. I'm willing to bet that a skimmer would help control your algae, but I want to factor out every possible cause from your system that I can.

CorallineAlgae said:
That's good to hear. Plenty of flow and careful feeding were good steps.

I don't know of a refugium that'll fit though I'm willing to bet you could find one online that'll be about a foot long.

Just to make certain.. about how old are the lamps in your light fixture. I'm willing to bet that a skimmer would help control your algae, but I want to factor out every possible cause from your system that I can.

I've been looking, the smallest one I can find is 14 inches. I bought my lights about 3 months ago. So I think I'll bye a small skimmer for a 30-55 gallon tank. If you know of any, feel free to offer.

And to make things worse I found two fish with ich... I can't win with my salt water tank! :(

Gvillboy said:
I've been looking, the smallest one I can find is 14 inches. I bought my lights about 3 months ago. So I think I'll bye a small skimmer for a 30-55 gallon tank. If you know of any, feel free to offer.

And to make things worse I found two fish with ich... I can't win with my salt water tank! :(

Ouch! To be fair, column and tall hex tanks can be hard for many of us to keep going well without a sump and a skimmer. Don't be to hard on yourself.

About ich, you should make a post in the sick fish boards. It'll be hard to combat without a quarantine tank but not impossible. Just don't medicate your main tank if you can help it. Try making a post and get some ideas from the experts here. I always use a separate tank to treat saltwater fish.

CorallineAlgae said:
Ouch! To be fair, column and tall hex tanks can be hard for many of us to keep going well without a sump and a skimmer. Don't be to hard on yourself.

About ich, you should make a post in the sick fish boards. It'll be hard to combat without a quarantine tank but not impossible. Just don't medicate your main tank if you can help it. Try making a post and get some ideas from the experts here. I always use a separate tank to treat saltwater fish.

Well it wasn't ich, just sand from them sleeping on substrate!

Thanks for all the advice, I'm ordering a hang on the back skimmer tonight! Lol

Back
Top Bottom