Regular pebble type rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travisjohn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have taken my 70g fresh water tank apart, am returning the fish I had in it to the lfs. I plan on making this tank fow(some)lr. I have 20g and 30g reef tanks so I would like to have this tank with some bigger fish without corals ect. My question is, do I need to use sand as a base or can I use the tons of pebble rock I used for the fresh water, cleaned of course. I will be using a filter of some type and a skimmer. Thanks for your imput.

I guess it depends on your water chemistry. But the reason for either, crushed coral or aragonite sand. is to help buffer your water to a 8.2-8.4 P.h. Also it helps with calcium, which is not that big of a deal in a fowlr tank.

Pebbles

Ok thanks fisherman. I guess ill go with the crushed coral I like the look. I just hope I can resell the rock as there is like 60 lbs of it or so lol.

Crush cioral may cause problems in the long run by trapping in waste. I have been looking at other peoples threads and some use pool sand as a cheap substitute for regular sw sand. I use aragonite sand.

That's true, but nomore than regular gravel, just do regular gravel vacs. You should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom