remora vs. bakpak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishfreek, glad to know you got the skimmer and that it's doing OK.

I only offer the Remora with the Maxi Jet pump as I don't like Rios and I agree that the one that comes stock on the Remora isn't enough. Also, for in sump operation, Aqua C makes a skimmer called an Urchin. It is identical to the Remora except that it comes with a longer hose to attach the PH and it has a foot so it won't fall over.

Well I cant say much from looking at it. I don tknow if the black acrylic they use is for the purpose of hiding the acutall desing or what but it sure makes it hard to see inside the unit unless you hold it up to a bright light.

I guess its more like 2 1/2 chambers. The spray nozzle is in the half chamber and then the reaction chamber with the skimmer collecion cup at the top and then its got an open bottom to that chamber that the water goes into the third chamber that then has the skimmer outlet on top. The directions say that for the first few days you might get some airbubbles into the tank due to the skimmer needing to break in.

The overall setup was very easy and infact I had to study the directions just to make sure there was not more to the setup. the overflow box is setup into two chambers. The one chamber has the standard overflow fingers and the pump sits in that chamber and the second chamber is where the skimmer outputs into and has a sponge on th ebottom and you can even add filter media into that chamber.

does the nozzle hit the top of the water or does it actually spray under the water? Is it a high pressure stream of water?

Yes. HEHE

I cant say exactly if it spays onto the top of the water or if its just below the water but from looking at the design I belive its intended that the spray nozzle be above the water surface when its running.

Yes its a very high pressure stream. Think of a power washer nozzle except its being powered by a 300GPH ph and is not just a jet of water but its a jet of water/air.

frustrating, wish i could see this in action but im guessing its just like a nozzle for a hose and hitting the top of the water allows air/water mixture otherwise the air is mixed in the nozzle like a reverse venturi or something.

DIY

biotoxin said:
i need to know more about the spray injection nozzle so i can diy one.

Wish I was better at DIY. I have discovered over the years that I am mechanically disinclined... Im lucky I can figure out how to open a jar sometimes.. But on the other hand, I can jury rig a computer out of a mason jar and some match heads :lol: Go figure....

Maybe if you have any luck DIY I can pay you to DIY for me :wink:

OK, as nearly as I can tell, the injector is a just a reducer. It reduces to about a 1/4" hole. There is a partition that comes down into the skimmer body and turns under the injector...maybe 1/2" between the injector tip and the partiton. It has about a 1/2" hole centered under the end of the injector. The water level runs about 1/4"-3/8" under the injector. If you took a garden hose with a small reducer and held it full blast over a bucket of water, you'd get about the same effect that the Remora operates on. The internal baffle design for bubble control is similar in appearance to a Prizm. HTH.

thanks logan that really helps me. I just wonder how the water level is maintained.

I don tknow if the black acrylic they use is for the purpose of hiding the acutall desing or what but it sure makes it hard to see inside the unit unless you hold it up to a bright light

I dont know if it was mentioned why they do this yet or not but its due to the fact that Black does not promote algae all that well.. That is why the unit is almost all black..

HTH,
James

The water level is maintained by the drain that dumps the water back into the tank. It's not adjustable....again, like a Prizm or any HOB filter.

The remora has basically just 1 adustment and that is done via a very simple mechanism.

You have a rubber gasket that is streched over the collection cup. You roll this up/down the height of the collection cup to adjust the height of the cup. Doing this changes the type of skim you get. If you like a very dry almost solid skim then you agist it up higher than if you like a liquidly brown color.

Actual remora reverse engineering

Actually, what I would LIKE to see is somebody reverse engineer THEIR remora. Look at it, take dimensions, inside baffle angles, etc.. Draw it up in photoshop/whatever and post it. now THAT would be helpful. Also, with that last drawing.. Some labeling would help, I'm not sure what some of those structures are.

Sorry if that sounds demanding, I'm tired and its 6:31am. hehe.

--Micah

i just got done making a remora if you want a better look at it go to the diy section under nanomora

Back
Top Bottom