Remote wet/dry..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewPhishGeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi - I'm new to the hobby of aquariums. I am interested in setting up a FOWLR tank (90-180 gal range). My first question is regarding the location of the wet/dry filter, In my basement, the location I have chosen backs up to my laundry room, can I locate it there? It would be about 3-5' from the tank to the filter.

Sound fine as long as it doesn't get too warm in there. just need a pump with a good head height. Alot of people put their equip in the basement, just need a stronger pump. Dodn't know if your filter is that strong or not. Is it pumping up an incline?

I don't have anything right now, I'm looking at the AquaClear Pro 200 with a pair of CAP 2200 pumps. The floor is level and the tank return would be at a height of about 5'. Heat shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks.

Make sure you know what those pumps will do at 5' head then. You must have an awful short celing or you plan on having the sump up on a table about sholder height?

5' head would imply that either the display tank is very short to the floor or if its say at 2 1/2' then the height of the tank another 1 1/2' that would give you a total distance below the floor of only 1' for the sump to belocated.

Short ceiling? The filter will be sitting on the floor, and the discharge will be at the top of the tank, approx. 4-5' above the floor level.

Does horizontal distance and plumbing diameter have any impact on head pressure calculations?

Yes if you run long horizonal distances and the larger the diamater plumbing the less overall reistance.

Im confused. are you talking about placing your wet/dry in the basement and have your main tank on the first floor? If so then your head wil be much greater than 5'. Or are you talking about putting your sump on the same floor as your tank but just some feet away?

Remember that the resistance on your return will be the same on your drain lines so you need to have your drain lines with a steady deline all the way to your sump.

I see the confusion, the wet/dry and tank will both be in the basement.

Also I found some information about calculating head pressure at the web site for Dolphin pumps.

OH ok. How far away will the sump be?

Unless your talking a really long distance the horizonal run is ont going to introduce much head.

Back
Top Bottom