removing damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danielbdn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have a easy way to catch Yellow Tailed Damsels. When I was setting up my new tank the guy at the LFS suggested these guys to help me finish cycling my tank. They were fine for about a month and then all of a sudden two of them killed the other one so now I want to sell the two back but I can't catch them. I'm trying not to remove the live rock.

Clear piece of acrylic, use it to corner the damsel, then tilt the bottom edge in to push damsel up, net damsel, repeat all again

Two days is like two hours for us. The idea is that the fish would be too busy eating that you can just scoop them up from under them.

Damsels are terrible. Clownfish are cool but that's the only fish from that family i would have. They tend to pick on other fish. I've even seen them pick on larger fish. I had one in a 150 gal tank that I couldn't catch. I went ahead and put my lion fish in there. You don't pick on a lion fish...lol!

Im sorry to say but the only way i have successfully removed damsels is by removing most rock and cornering them with 2 nets.

Trying to do it with one net and not removing the rock is gonna result in a very long if not impossible process and lots of stress to the fish.

Catching a damsel is one of a long list of reason why i dont recommend them. Besides clowns of course.

Trapping them is usually a fail. And catching more than one this way is extremely difficult. Trapping takes excessively more time and failure than just taking your rocks out and netting them to begin with.

Starving is can help get a damsel into a trap sometimes but it too has a high failure rate, not to mention a bit cruel and again a slight waste of time.

This is why depending on tank size and rock work etc that damsel often times become life long tank members once added. I tried trapping a yellow tail damsel for six months with a DIY acrylic trap and some fishing line. I never caught him in the trap and by the time i finally decided to tear out the rocks and net him i was so mad at the fish i was gonna have a panic attack lol. He was an ******* of a fish so i gave him to my buddy;)

Save your time and sanity.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up draining some of my water into buckets then removing most of my live rock. And finally was able to catch them. Took them and traded them for a Pajama Cardinal. Funny thing is I thought while taking out the live rock I might find my peppermint shrimp no luck.

Danielbdn said:
Thanks for the advice. I ended up draining some of my water into buckets then removing most of my live rock. And finally was able to catch them. Took them and traded them for a Pajama Cardinal. Funny thing is I thought while taking out the live rock I might find my peppermint shrimp no luck.

Good decision and glad you got them out without too much frustration. Sadly the damsel(s) was probably the cause of the peppermint disappearance.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I like my live rock arrangement better now. I thought that might be what happened to the shrimp. That's why they had to go. Wish I knew about cycling with a dead shrimp before I bought them.

Danielbdn said:
It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I like my live rock arrangement better now. I thought that might be what happened to the shrimp. That's why they had to go. Wish I knew about cycling with a dead shrimp before I bought them.

:) we all learn in this hobby, sometimes learning the hard way is when it really gets drilled into our heads.

I had one I couldn't catch in my old tank. He was a wicked demon fish. I gave up but he met my lion fish. :D ...yes, that sounds cruel however he was mean and regardless of where other fish hung out in the tank he was a turd to them. Damsels are just evil.

nikki_kaiser said:
I had one I couldn't catch in my old tank. He was a wicked demon fish. I gave up but he met my lion fish. :D ...yes, that sounds cruel however he was mean and regardless of where other fish hung out in the tank he was a turd to them. Damsels are just evil.

Circle of life right there. Nothing wrong with that.

To the OP- I'm glad you caught them and got a PJ! They are neat looking fish!

Back
Top Bottom