Replacing Subtrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I have recently discovered that crushed coral is not such a good subtrate in the long run. I am in the process of buying aragonite sand and replacing it. I wanted to know whether it would be a good idea to place my clown fish somewhere else while i do this. I dont want the sand to bother him while it settles. I will be doing it in intervals of 1/3. I have a question. I have a 2 gallon little tank with a filter and all. Could I place the little 1" clown in there for the little time being?

I would divide the tank into 3rds ... every couple weeks remove 1/3 of the CC and add sand till it is all replaced .... You really dont need to move the clown he should be just fine IMHHO just run a tandum filter for a day or so ... after each change , you may find that you need to rinse the sponge every 30-60 minutes at first
I have actually torn down and replaced all at once then ran a filter , you are likely to have diatoms as the bacteria reorganizes and colinizes your new substrate ..

Ok thanks a lot for the heads up. So the floating sand at first will not bother my clown?

In what time period should I do this?

Best to do it before your water changes. Change out each portion of sand bed before you do your change. I would not recommend doing it in faster then three weeks. Depending on how old your substrate is and how much it spikes your levels when you take 1/3 out you may want to slow it down a bit. Keep a close eye on your levels. Test nitrates 24-48 hours after you take part out so you know what your dealing with. Also i would run a filter sock or sponge for 24 hours after as well if you have one. Don't leave it in for longer then that but it will help to take out some of the big stuff floating around in the water.

should be fine run a tandum filter to clear it , and monitor for stress IE labored breathing or sinking , something that is not normal for him :D

tandum filter is just an extra filter HOB usually to run to help pick up the other stuff ...
It runs whith the other to allow it to grab a bit more gunk
A cheep HOB is just fine ;)

Another question. I checked my water parameters and they are still the same. My clown is fine and the water is clear again. My clown does have sudden urges to swim laps around my tank for no reason...normal i hope? Since my parameters have not changed....would changing more of the substrate a little sooner be a bad idea?

just keep it slow,just because it's ok this time it may stress them out if you do it too soon,be patient,I know it's hard but worth it in the end.

Yes that is normal for a clown I agree with David slow let the micro organisims catch up :D

I am in the same boat wanting to replace cc. Tank has been set up since feb. and I wish my lfs didnt push cc on me, I feel he was trying to get rid of it or something..anyway, I am not sure what kind of aragonite sand to use. I noticed there are different sizes? I know not to waste money on live sand and I want to find the best deal because i wasted money on cc.
Also, what should I do with all the cc? thanks!

I am in the same boat wanting to replace cc. Tank has been set up since feb. and I wish my lfs didnt push cc on me, I feel he was trying to get rid of it or something..anyway, I am not sure what kind of aragonite sand to use. I noticed there are different sizes? I know not to waste money on live sand and I want to find the best deal because i wasted money on cc.
Also, what should I do with all the cc? thanks!

Most people use a suger sized sand. I got a 15lb bag at petsmart for $17.00. Thats alot, but its alot anyways when you pay for shipping somewhere else. There are different sizes, so look for the one that will say 0.5-1.0mm or so. (Or whatever size you prefer as long as its not approaching the size of that CC).

You could give some of your CC to a friend that needs to cycle their tank I guess...

Matt

Back
Top Bottom