replenish DI water into tank w/out sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatr_head

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the best technique for replenshing DI water into a tank w/ out sump? I've got a 46 gallon LR/LS, a red banded shrimp, emerald crab and a blue chromis and alot of snails and hermit crabs.

So far, I've been pouring the DI water into the tank, but it's probably not the best technique.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Brian

Besides maybe a slow drip, I can't think of a good technique with a tank of that size. Make sure the temperature is the same.

If its just top off water and only a small amount there is no reason to heat it up, IMO you wont get a temp swing with less then a gallon . Just pour it in. You can make a DIY auto top off unit if you want, but with smaller tanks you probably dont have much evaporation every day do you?

I warm the water, but it's only a gallon or 1.5 at the most every 2 or 3 days. I just don't want to shock the tank by pouring in that much water in a once.

What about the monthly water changes ? - prep the new DI water ahead of time with Salt and supplements and let it sit for a few days, drain about 5 gallons and just pour in the new water? Or should the new water be a slower drip like process w/ out a sump?

Any rule of thumb to follow

BTW - Thanks

Thats good?? I have a constant top off so I dont warm water with small amounts of top off. You don't get any Sg/salinity swings waiting 2-3 days between top offs?
You got it right... Mix water and let mix for at least 24hrs before use... take out old and pour in new.. Nothing fancy here but can get messy :p

I also add a few gallons of top off water directly to my tank with no adverse effects. And I'll second the confirmation on the water change method. If change water is same Temp and Sg there's no concerns.

The smaller the tank, the MORE valuable an automatic evaporative replacement system is. Evaporation happens and the smaller tank will fluctuate salt content more quickly than a larger one.

Manual top offs with FW will be more shocking to a small system.

Overall evaporation might be small, but it is likely a more significant portion of the tank volume than a large tank situation.

Just one of the many reasons why bigger is better!

Back
Top Bottom