Reverse Omosis Qaulity Debate - Ebay vs Fish Store/Site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnestroy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I was on Reef Central and we kinda started to debate about reverse osmosis kits....

The debate is simple... are the kits you find on ebay for a 3rd of the price just as good as the ones you find on a aquarium store/site?

I'm looking to purchase one, and I can get a 6stage on ebay for dirt cheap.... and for the same price a 2 or 3 stage on most aquarium sites/stores...

I would think that regardless of the kit, the better quality the filter, the better quality the water.

Okay lets get more specific....

Ebay:
$99.99 --- New 6 stage 100 GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filters

Doctor Foster & Smith:
$179.00 --- 35 GPD Kent Marine Hi-S RO Unit 4-Stage Units
$299.00 --- 120 GPD Kent Marine Hi-S RO Unit 4-Stage Units
$126.00 --- Pure-Flo II RO Units 4-stage RO/DI unit

Maybe there are other examples, but Here I am a first time buyer... of course I'm going to ask why the price difference and which one should I buy?

i would buy the ebay one i did much research and found no difference in how thay do their job the price difference comes from marketing and the fact that most of the stores on eday are wholesalers and do not have to endure the cost of advertising and getting stores to sell their product

i got my 110 gpd for $99.00 from filter direct on ebay six months ago and could not be more pleased

You could also check out a local plumbing supply store that sells to the general public they have good quality merchandise.

You'll find commercial size equipment there to.

Ok, ro/di units are all basically the same, there is no "special" equipment that Kent has over the others so your paying for the name.
The last time I did a search on this there were only 2 companies that make membranes "the heart of the system" and they are both good membranes.
So the only real difference is the other filters, Micron filters are nothing fancy.. Carbon, there can be a difference in the quality of the carbon, but IMO not a real big issue if you stay on top of changing them out.
DI resin here is where there can be a bigger difference, but when its time for new resin just get a better resin.
There are bells and whistles that some units have over the others.... IMO the ebay units are good units.
The only thing I don't like about some of them are the ones that have the DI laying on top of the unit, when its like this "channeling " of the resin can happen and you will not be getting the most out of the resin this way.
The units that have a housing just for a resin cartridge are better IMO.
Also a 75 GPD unit is the most efficient unit out there, so unless you need a ton of water fast a 75 GPD is all you will need. Having used a 75 and 100 GPD membranes there is not much difference in water output..

Back
Top Bottom