Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've having a group buy next week (see my sig), and you can get the BRS RO/DI units for up to 20% off. Sign up if you haven't already.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thats a great deal right there for you if your looking.... First thing i learned is this forum has great info and people who are more then willing to talk and help.

Just hope theres a good deal to jump on like that when im eventually going to do the ro/di unit . Good luck with your tank

Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run the buys every month, so if you miss out on the one next week, there will be one again in the beginning of December.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've used the RO water from the Glacier water units that are outside grocery stores and some gas stations in my area. Ranges between 20 - 30 cents per gallon. A buck to fill up a 5 gallon jug works for me. TDS levels are usually 3-4ppm, which is not the ideal "0" you get from RODI, but it is a huge improvement compared to tap water. I think that for FOWLR, it works fine. I've got an RO unit that came with my new 240g...someday I will read the book and figure out how to use it.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

The group buy sounds good but unfortunately my daughter has a birthday this month and then Christmas next month so I will probably have to wait until Jan. to buy the unit or maybe be a good Christmas present for myself. Thanks to all for the advice and for at least a couple of months I will go with water from the store. A friend offered me a di-ionizer for free but not sure if that will help me much since its not ro.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Saying unfortunately my daughter has a birthday this month doesn't sound right. I am glad she had one lol
Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Theres a neat stickie post about when the ro/di unit can pay for itself, its at the top of one of the saltwater subsections. You can spend the 5-10 a week on premade water but can buy a cheap portable ro/di from ebay for say $90.....if youre intending on sticking it out in the hobby then I would say yes, it will pay for itself pretty quick.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you know the brand of the portable unit. 90 is a good price
Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I believe this is the unit I started with, I thought it would have gone up in price by now lol. But nope, still $69

0ppm Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis Ro Di Filtration | eBay
Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks think I will get that. That should make all the water I need for my 45 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com