ro/di

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmilkman

Aquarium Advice Activist
When maintaining a saltwater aquarium is a ro/di unit a must have or is there other ways to use tap water mixed with salt to keep tank topped off

I only use RO water, even to top off. I wouldn't take the chance of creating problems that could easily be avoided. Way too much money in the tank to loose it.

I buy water in town... 18 litre jugs. On my 50 gal I'd do about 1 jug a week on a water change. That's about 2.50 a week for tank water. Not always the most convienient but there are things higher on my 'to buy' list than a RO water unit.

Oh cool. My tank is just a 45 corner tank. I got tank, filter, live rock and stand for 50 dollars. That 2.50 a jug for water will be better than 2 or 3 hundred for the system. I also found 160 gallon bucket of instant ocean salt on clearance for 7 dollars.

I use distilled, chealest ive found it for is target for .86/gallon which is cheap. Obviously depending on size of tank would matter is you need to budget one in, you can get good deals on some units different websites im sure someone with a actual ro/di unit will chime in.....

Thanks for the info. My tank is 45 gallons so hopefully won't have to use more than a gallon per week

I stock up every sunday when i do the usual rounds with my 2yo.... Consists of LFS to see fish and target for distilled water.... Exciting life :) haha

I have a 30 with temp around 80 because of temps in house with the top closed up for the most part and can add half gallon a day in some cases

7 gallons a week then. Might be better to invest in the unit. Thanks for the info

I've having a group buy next week (see my sig), and you can get the BRS RO/DI units for up to 20% off. Sign up if you haven't already.

Thats a great deal right there for you if your looking.... First thing i learned is this forum has great info and people who are more then willing to talk and help.

Just hope theres a good deal to jump on like that when im eventually going to do the ro/di unit :). Good luck with your tank :)

I run the buys every month, so if you miss out on the one next week, there will be one again in the beginning of December.

I've used the RO water from the Glacier water units that are outside grocery stores and some gas stations in my area. Ranges between 20 - 30 cents per gallon. A buck to fill up a 5 gallon jug works for me. TDS levels are usually 3-4ppm, which is not the ideal "0" you get from RODI, but it is a huge improvement compared to tap water. I think that for FOWLR, it works fine. I've got an RO unit that came with my new 240g...someday I will read the book and figure out how to use it. :)

The group buy sounds good but unfortunately my daughter has a birthday this month and then Christmas next month so I will probably have to wait until Jan. to buy the unit or maybe be a good Christmas present for myself. Thanks to all for the advice and for at least a couple of months I will go with water from the store. A friend offered me a di-ionizer for free but not sure if that will help me much since its not ro.

Saying unfortunately my daughter has a birthday this month doesn't sound right. I am glad she had one lol

Theres a neat stickie post about when the ro/di unit can pay for itself, its at the top of one of the saltwater subsections. You can spend the 5-10 a week on premade water but can buy a cheap portable ro/di from ebay for say $90.....if youre intending on sticking it out in the hobby then I would say yes, it will pay for itself pretty quick. :)

Do you know the brand of the portable unit. 90 is a good price

Thanks think I will get that. That should make all the water I need for my 45 gallon

Back
Top Bottom