Ro/Di

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleHauze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im new to Ro/Di water and i have noticed that my buckets get a hard white film on them after i make salt water. I never noticed this before and was wondering if anyone has ran into this before

So you have mixed salt with RO water from a lfs and didn't get the film?

Did you use a powerhead to mix the salt with your tap water and your RO water? When I first saw the film I thought maybe it was residue from the salt being ground up some in the power head. If you used a power head with both then I'm out of guesses lol

Yes i use power heads to mix my water. I have done it this way for 7 months and the only thing that changed is the Ro water. I have no idea if it is a different in water temp or what

Do you add your salt to the water, or the water to the salt? That makes a difference.

What you're seeing is a precipitate forming. I get a light brown film on the bottom of mine, presumably due to latent mud/dirt in the mined/refined salt. I just rinse it out.

As long as your mixed water has the right SG, no 'trAtes, phosphates, etc, you're good to go.

I wouldn't worry too much about it...so long as the params of the mixed water are good.

Back
Top Bottom