Ro/di water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterking

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought RO/DI water from my lfs store And when I made my saltwater I put to much salt and my salt level is to high my lfs store is closed so I can't go buy more ro water from them can I use polar spring water in exchange for the ro/di water from the lfs store ?

Go to your grocery store and get distilled water. It's the same stuff. just purified in a different manner.

Yeah I kinda figured it wasent good thats why I was asking just to make sure

Yeah my lfs store is telling me my salt is low but I tested it and it's fine so I don't understand them at all , their saying I might be doing it wrong but I think they are lol

Hydrometers are very inaccurate, you need a refractometer. Your LFS is probably right, I used hydrometer when I first started because I didn't know better. Found out one was off .004, the other was off .006.

Refractometer is the way to go. This is the one I have. Vital Sine Refractometer
Vital Sine Refractometer
By no means do you have to get one this expensive but i think you should be look'n to spend no less than $45 to $50 to get a decent one that will last. Hydrometers can be off by alot. And distilled is the way to go in an emergency, I have three 5 gallon water cooler jug's full and on standby for emergencies. Good luck

My LFS says they're SW is at 1.023, but when I test it with my refractometer (after calibrating with RO/DI water), it sometimes says 1.020-1.023. They have a refractometer also. Who should I trust? maybe I'm not calibrating correctly?

If equipment is the same, I would always trust my own judgement over someone else's.

Yeah that's what I'm going do Becasue I know I'm doing everything the correct way and they might not be u know

In your case, I would go with the LFS. That is why I said if the equipment is the same I would go with my equipment. In your case, the LFS is using superior equipment to yours. Please do yourself a favor and get a refractometer. Your fish will thank you, because I can say with 99% certainty that the hydrometer is off.

Get some calibration fluid for your refractometer. 53.0mS Calibration fluid (mine is Pinpoint brand from American Marine) is 35 ppt. Calibrate your refractometer to that instead of RODI water to be sure you are accurate at the range you are testing.

Back
Top Bottom